Floppy drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

D.Arbib

In Runtime
I have a silly problem with my floppy drive. When, in format, I try to load MS DOS start-up, at about 80% complete the floppy stalls and a message comes up "An unexpected I/O error has occurred"

And. in another attempt to write to floppy, it reaches 98% and again stalls. I have also checked with Microscope 11u and it comes up with error 1 and will not write to the floppy.

System is Windows XP pro, fully updated, CD-RW, DVD-R, 2x120GB hard drives, AMD 3200x, 512MB PC3200 RAM and, of course, the peculiar floppy which reads fine, but doesn't complete writing.

Is there some setting in config.sys or something else, that I should be chaging?

Thanks, but I have used a cleaning floppy. I also sometimes get a message: Floppy disk controller reported an error that is not recognized by the floppy drive.

I agree, floppies are so freakin' cheap! Install a new floppy drive and see if you find similar problems.

-Michael

So far no help. So here is an update of my problem.

In accordance with suggestions above I have replaced the floppy drive with a Sony drive and re-connected as previous OEM setup,

The fault remains precisely the same, so now I have a spare good Teac floppy drive! Send me a £10 note and its yours!

Anyway this is my gripe:

1. In "My Computer/ 3 1/2" Floppy "A"/right click/Format/ Create an MS-DOs startup disk" it runs to about 90% complete then stops with a message "An unexpected I/O error has occurred"

2. Similarly when I tried to install the first of 6 floppies to contain the XPpro Rev1a recovery disks I got a message at 90% complete "Floppy disk controller reported an error that is not recognized by the floppy drive".

Now I have tried the same on two separate hard drives containing the full XP pro SP1a updates and there is no difference.

I also booted from the CD and also got the same result . HELP!

Try using a USB floppy drive. Sounds like the IO controller for the Floppy drive is bad. Might try replacing the cable first, but if that doesn't work, then I think that is your problem.
Good luck

I'm bored with having to try another floppy with USB connections when IDE ones don't function. I know they are cheap but it is annoying to have to fork even small sums continually.

There has to be a fix somewhere, perhaps in registry or elsewhere, but I do depend on you experts out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom