2 Raptors + backup hd w/RAID

Status
Not open for further replies.
2 more raptors would be too expensive just for data redundency.

Wouldn't it make more sense to just get another seagate and RAID 1 that with the other one and store everything on there and use the RAID 0 for programs? Or am I just stupid?

It depends man. No one really needs 160GB (2x160GB in Raid 1) of storage to keep their "personal" files. The whole point of having Raid 1 is so that u don't have to go through the hasle of reinstalling everything. If the apps are running on the 2 x Raid 0 Raptors, they won't be backed up.

For my new system, this is what I am gonna do.

-2xRaptors in Raid 0 for everything
-A IDE HDD in an external enclosure (USB or firewire) that I can use to regularly backup my personal files (automated backup of "My Documents", etc.).

The Raid 1 HDDs are usually connected to the same PSU in the same case. And if the PSU goes kaboom and fries stuff, there goes my Raid 1 security as well - what a waste. That's why I am going to go via the external HDD route. I am gonna build it probably in 3 weeks or so. And good luck if u trip and fall down the staircase when carrying ur case :D, or ur little brother decide to play with a huge magnet......

Chankama said:
It depends man. No one really needs 160GB (2x160GB in Raid 1) of storage to keep their "personal" files. The whole point of having Raid 1 is so that u don't have to go through the hasle of reinstalling everything. If the apps are running on the 2 x Raid 0 Raptors, they won't be backed up.
Some people do need 160GB for all their movies, media, pictures, files, music, etc.

And I don't think the whole point of RAID 1 is so you don't have to reinstall things. I mean why would you go out of your way and spend more money on RAID 1 just so you don't have to reinstall things? No, it's meant more for making sure that you don't lose all of your saved files and critical data. Programs can be easily retrieved and installed again, but all your work, music, pictures, etc. cannot be so easily restored.

Yes I know that 2 raptors running on RAID 0 won't be backed up.

You seem paranoid, good luck in keeping your data safe in your new system. But what if your power supply melts down and frys your hard drives and then simultaneously an asteroid comes crashing through your roof and smashes your external hard drive to bits? Then what will you do? :p

:) Chances of that happening I would presume is pretty low compared to me dropping my case when I am taking it to my car :).. But, if it does, I would go to the store immediately and buy a lottery ticket.

In anycase, storing pictures and data for a home user is not gonna take up 160 GB dude. Movies is another thing. But why the hell would anyone keep movies on their HDD instead of burning them on to a CD or DVD? That's just nuts.

Perhaps, I didn't state what I wanted to say properly. Companies and such do Raid 1 for their data. And perhaps, I shouldn't have said "people do it for this or that" since anyone (including u) can come and say "well I use Raid 1 for the data". I can't argue with that.

What I meant was, "pesonally" I don't see why anyone would use Raid 1 for anything other than protecting their apps. IMO, the home user really does not need 100+GB, if they make good use of DVDs to store read-only large files permanently. Just my opinion. They can use my setup which is probably safer and a lot cheaper.

And even for apps they can just get Norton Ghost. So, I don't really see any practical value of Raid 1 for home users. Which is probably why a lot of people don't use it.

But still I just don't believe anyone would use RAID 1 for the purpose of protecting their apps. I mean who gives a crap about apps anyway. Re-download and there they are again. RAID 1 is better used to protect your files that you can't re-download and that in the case of a drive failure may be lost forever if you don't back them up otherwise.

And yes I know people that can fill up a 160GB easy with their stuff. All their movies (it's expensive to burn every one of them to a DVD btw.), music, etc. Just using FRAPS to record some game footage of myself I have filled up 100GB of storage.

Anyway I was simply pointing out that it's best to run your programs/OS on the 10k drives and leave your other drives to handle all the storage, didn't mean to argue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom