2 Raptors + backup hd w/RAID

Status
Not open for further replies.

jwatc75

Baseband Member
Building new system with top notch components. I want to put 2 Raptors (74Gb) at RAID 0 and have a Seagate (200Gb) at RAID 1 for backup. Now with the RAID 0 I should have 148 Gb HD with the Raptors right? as well as being lightning fast. And can I connect the Seagate RAID 1 to one of the drives for automatic backup?

Thanks for the help in advance.

Like a RAID 5 you mean? I think you need identical drives but I'm not positive.
Why don't you just use the 2 raptors in RAID 0 to run your programs and all that and then put all your storage stuff on the seagate? Then the stuff you really don't want to lose you could just manually put on the RAID array.

Wait...I think he means RAID 1+0. You want 148 of 'striped' data, and you want to have the 200 gig for back up. I dunno how to do this...what are the connectors for the Hard drives? If it's SATA, your mobo should support RAID 1+0. If it's IDE, you have to pay for a RAID controller card.

hmmm.. I think what he means is he wants Raid 0+1 with only three drives. 2 drive groups obviously make up the basic Raid 1. The first group he's saying will have the logical group consisting of the 2 Raid 0'd Raptors. And the other logical group will consist of the Seagate.

So, Raid1( Raid0(Raptor, Raptor), Seagate)

Think this is what he means. Weird setup. Don't even think it's gonna work. If he does manage to find a Raid controller than will support such incompatible Raid 1 groups (different speeds), I would imagine the performance will be poor since the Raptor group will have to operate at the same speed as the Seagate.

If the Seagate is only used for "backup" and not Raid 1, it should be good.

And Gaara, I thought if you if you have 2 drives with different sizes for R0, Raid just takes the smaller capacity drive and allocates the same amount on the larger drive. Guess it depends on the controller.

You will never ever find a controller that is able to RAID 1 a 200gb 7,200 rpm seagate with 2 10,000rpm raptors, it just isn't possible. RAID stuff needs to be the same. His drives are different amount of drives, different size, different speed, different brands, everything different!

Just do what I said and run all your programs and stuff on the RAID 0 array. Then back up and store everything on the seagate.

hmm ok. Maybe I should just R-0 for Raptors and no RAID for the Seagate 200gb. I will just keep all data on the backup that I don't want to lose. Install all proggys to the Raptors (OS, etc). Does this make sense? This system is primarily for gaming btw, and cost is not a problem....what would you do?....now don't give me some $10K setup either lol, this is for a friend.

ya...Sorry Dale your post wasn't there earlier LOL..."great minds think alike"....right?

dale5605 said:
You will never ever find a controller that is able to RAID 1 a 200gb 7,200 rpm seagate with 2 10,000rpm raptors, it just isn't possible.

Just b/c a Raid controller is not available does not mean "it just isn't possible" man. The Raid spec would work on anything really - if someone were to make an appropriate controller. Heck if we put our efforts into it, we could make a Raid controller that will work on whatever hardware.

But, companies don't make em for economic reasons since there is no sufficient demand.

jwatc75 - Anyways, if you want a Raid 0+1 setup you should get 4 identical drives. The capacity will be 2xone of the drives. OR as I said before, you can simply use the Seagate for regular backup instead of Raid1.

A RAID 0+1 requires four drives, there's no way to get around this, and they all must be identical drives.

As you know, a RAID 0 strips the data and records half on each disk. Both drives then act simultaneously as one when accessing data. RAID 0 is not a true RAID in the sense as it is not fault tolerant.

However, he wants to make it fault tolerant by mirroring his data, or thus, making two copies of it, without sacrifricing the RAID 0 speed gain.

What he'll basically need to do this is to double of his RAID 0 array, if he has two 74GB Raptors, he will require four. The two drives will then mirror the other two drives in RAID 0.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom