Speed up my Dial-up!

Status
Not open for further replies.

95neongirl

Baseband Member
I have windows Xp Home Edition...
My problem is that I have dial-up..DSl or cable not available..I have
tried almost everything to increase my speed but nothing seems to work I am always
connected at 21.6 kbps I have run a direct line to my pc..(no help) I have
upgraded the type phone wiring (no help) I have used xp tweaks (no help)
I have cleaned and defraged, delete temp cache and scanned ( no help)
I have called the phone company to have my line checked for problems...none!
no static etc.
My pc constantly stays at 21.6kbps

now my Sister who lives 2 houses down with the same phone company and same
dial-up company has no prblem..(She even has static in her lines) connects at
about 41.0 and stays there that is almost double my speed!

any help would be greatly appreciated!

Can anyone help me figure out what the problem is

Oh its something to do with a setting on your modem. Damn I wish i could remember, you have to set the V number lower. Im going to do some more research.

Also, is the wire very long? I knew a guy that had a 100 foot wire and it was only connected at like a constant 19kbps.

When I had that problem my neighborhood had run the lines from the Local CO thru a trap which I guess basically multiplexes them to save on cable pairs in the Neighborhood. I couldn't get over 24k, Thank god for Cox Cable and my cable modem. If 2 doors down they're cranking away at 41k I would contact your local phone company and explain your problem. Follow Microbell's advise and let us all know! Good Luck!!

Hi All ,,

there are a few other things that you may try,,

MB was on the right track with the maxing out of the modem ,, although,, I was under the teaching that 119500 was ok to set it too as well as that would be the "ceiling" of the connection , leaving it wide open to that point,, however, as we know you will never connect with dialup at that speed ,, as we know it,, it allows for a lot of "headroom"

On the other settings,, make sure that "Hardware settings " control your FIFO,, not SOFTWARE

Plus,, in the additional settings,, you are able to add commands there,,,

I did have a listing of what they did,,,

they look like this " s32=ox" and that would change the instructions for the modem,, however, I cant find my list ,,,, so do a search,,

other things i would say are to move to the V92 standard,, which would be found with newer drivers for your hardware,,

further,, to find new drivers,, get the chipset number off the modem itself,, do a search on that , and you should get a return of compatible modem drivers,,

and lastly ,, XP does have some customizable settings that you can change in the registry,,

check in the history for tweaks by a user named "microsoftne" or something like that ,,

Maybe somebody out there can correct me on his sig???

He posted a tweak that worked , but that is on my work laptop ,, and I am at home,, so not quickly helpful there,,, but you should be able to search it on this site,,

Lastly,, You may be getting poor line signal strength,, the houses could be right next to each other, and it is the number of "pins" ( i think they call it) on the BIX that make the available "strength" either better or worse,, 100 divided by 4 is better than 100 divided by 10,, if you understand what i mean,,,

so your neighbour might be on a different panel,, or even newer hardware with the phone company,,,

the variables and tweaks are out there,, you need to get them all sorted and tested,, right now I am connecting at 42.5kbs however,, On other days 33.60kbs,, same phone line,, same modem,, same provider.. so you tell me???

Keep exploring!!

cheers,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom