Hercules 64mb agp 3d prophet 4000xt
hitachi 60gb eide hd
Mitsumi CDRW 54x32x54
centon pc2700 256mb ram at 333Mhz
kingwin CPU cooler coppet bottom supports up to AMD 3000+
Mach speed v600dap via kt600 socket A motherboard
AMD athlon xp2800+ cpu 333FSB Barton Core
Maxpower power supply 350 watts

Alright, we started building this computer tonight and while we were testing the reset button...after like 4 successfully reboots, the computer would start beeping (repeating high low) and then auto shutdown. After screwing with the memory (finally replacing it with a fresh stick and in another slot), replacing FSB jumpers, etc...i got to the point where it went through all 4 windows 2000 server boot disks, and when it got to the point where it restarts after installing all of them, the problem reoccured. It seems like this problem occurs completely randomly and it's really becoming a pain. Any help would be appreciated.

Not sure, but your power supply might not be high enough to support your specs.. if you have a 400wat powersupply laying around, try using that one..

3d Prophet 4000xt - beeping

I had to replace a dead board and am trying to use my 4000xt video card and then an old Rage 128.

Seems that my new ABIT KV7 only supports 1.5v or .8v AGP cards not 3.3V.

I have not been able to find specs on the the required voltage for these old cards but suspect that they are both 3.3V.

I have a problem with a siren at boot up sometimes. I have only come up with a non pernament solution, that has become a permenant one, that is, leave my pc on all the time, and if I need to shutdown, turn it off by the psu as well.

also, gdl9325 are you the same as tooload??

the beeps are the BIOS's way of telling you what's wrong, it is a series of long and/or short beeps. listen to the beeps and write down what they are (eg long, short, long)

From the beeps you're getting, it sounds like the CPU is overheating. Check this out before switching the system on again cos athlons fry really easily.

Make sure the hsf rating is adequate for the CPU.
Make sure you use a really good thermal compound (artic silver etc)
Make sure the heatsink is the right way round (know it sounds stupid but I've seen it done). And make sure it it positioned squarely over the CPU.

thanks

Samm,

Thanks ... all good to check.

Actually did that and went all the way to replacing with a larger heatsink fan combo.

Its looking like a bios conflict problem with the processor.

Eliminated everything else.

Thanks again,

G

i had an episode when my processor overheated a little bit. i set the alarm in my bios to 60 C. one time when i was playing Splinter Cell Chaos Theory, my computer started beeping. exited SCCT, opened up speedfan, and my processor was at 59C and slowly going down. its not good when a processor gets hot. makes your heart feel like it wants to fly out of your chest from anxiety.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom