Various Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

unrelatedwaffle

Solid State Member
I'm running Windows XP Professional on a Dell Latitude C800. I got it as a refurb, so I'm not sure how old it is (it was a gift, and I thought it rude to ask). It's a Pentium 3, 128 ram, 40 GB hard drive. Lately I've been having a lot of problems with it. Whenever I install SP2 it completely shuts down and Windows can never successfully open. Usually I do a system restore to get rid of it, but the last time I couldn't even open Windows in safe mode. I had to completely reinstall Windows, since nobody around me knew what to do.

Now the computer is running very oddly. The hard drive makes no noise most of the time, which is unusual, and the computer freezes or pauses a lot more often than it used to. I don't know what to do! Does anyone have any advice?

Not enough RAM, minimal installation ram is 128, which is sufficient if you're running about nothing. The 128 is just for system processes. If you upgraded to 256, or something else, it'd probably fix the problem.

Were you running a different operationg system before? If you were you might want to go back to that, or upgrade your ram. That seems to be the problem with why windows wont run correctly.

u can virus scan with z/a?? i know it has filtering but a scanner... ?
oh and go on pricecheck.com good prices there the rams are only like 15+ for em.. which is cheaper than most hope u find something

You are right, zone alarm is only a fire wall, its not a virus program. As for your ram you would have to make sure its compatable with the current ram, or you can just buy new ram to totaly replace the old ram. Can you give us some specifics on your ram, and we can help you find some to replace it with.

Well I'm hoping I can get a trade in once I get back home (I'm away at school for a few more weeks) to something better that I couldn't afford if I bought new. So I was just seeing if there was anything that would fix the problem short term. =) Don't want to pay to upgrade the computer and then just trade it in!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom