ordering monday... help

Status
Not open for further replies.
there's no such thing as RAID with and IDE drive

that drive you have will work as a storage drive (you have 2 super fast HDD is raid0, which will power all your programs [save all your programs in those hard drives] and for your other stuff such as pictures, word documents, and music files, you save into the 160gb WD)

edit: and why the asus mobo? are you planning on getting it?

SteveGTA said:
but will the hard drive that i listed above, the 160GB WD one, work in RAID with the ASUS mobo?
Well the ASUS has RAID capabilties. But it doesn't have SATA II like the gigabyte board I suggested. If you are dead-set on ASUS tell me and I'll pick some alternate drives.
Again I would get 2 smaller drives and put them in RAID 0 as this will be faster than one single larger drive. RAID only works for more than one hard drive in case you didn't know. Two 80GB hard drives in RAID 0 will have the same storage as one 160GB drive but will be much faster.

And half the reliability as well, good for gaming since who cares, you reinstall a few games, but not good for important files

And dont buy a rosewill card, too many horror story's, try to get ATI, Saphire ect, Dale should know some better brands for a few dollars more.

so the western digital i listed will not work in raid? but it will work if its not in RAID right...

the only reason i got the western digital that i did was because it was on sale for 60 dollars. if it works with the ASUS mobo, then i am going to keep it, even if it wont work in RAID because once i get enough money later i plan on buying some nicer hard drives and putting them in RAID. i think the WD 160 hard drive is ATA100 interface and am wondering if that will work. i think i may have been told it will work about 3 times but the specs for the ASUS mobo say something about ATA133. is that just if you are going to put two hard drives in RAID?

it's impossible for IDE drives to work in RAID

asus mobo sucks from what i've heard and that WD drives of yours can work on any mobo

DJ-CHRIS said:
And dont buy a rosewill card, too many horror story's, try to get ATI, Saphire ect, Dale should know some better brands for a few dollars more.
Well I guess there is this sapphire
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=14-102-486&depa=1

Oh and I didn't realize you had already bought that hard drive, that's why I was suggesting something else.
That will work fine with that ASUS mobo and any other mobo you get. Don't worry about RAID, you only have one hard drive so you can't use it anyway.

In conclusion, yes the drive is compatible with any board you get.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom