Techist - Tech Forum - View Single Post - Computer producing plastic smelling smoke=not good

Click Here to Login
View Single Post
Old 04-16-2005, 09:54 AM   #3 (permalink)
digitaloracle
Ultra Techie

No, inserting a cable into a card should not kill a computer (that I know of), unless maybe you camcorder draws a lot of power from it's firewire connection, which seems highly doubtful. Try a friend's PSU to test everything. I woldn't turn the thing on again with your power supply. Did any lights come on on the CD drives? If you found no damage on the mobo or anything else, then it seems logical that the smoke out of the PSU was from that unit itself, and I hope you didn't open it to find out (it voids the warrantly on the thing). I have opened up a very cheap (came with a $35 case) PSU and noticed some plastic the had been dripped over soem of the components as a sort of glue, so that might be what was buring. If the HDD light comes on and the CPU fan comes on, then I would think that the mobo is functionning at leas to some degree. The good part is that if something is dead, it is probably covered under warranty, so it was better this happened soon rather than later. Good luck.

EDIT: two people posting at the same time...

Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.