Totally stumped!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dean66

In Runtime
Okay, recently I built two new computers for a couple of friends of mine. The first one went really smooth. I'm having a problem on the second one that's driving me crazy.

I used WD serial ATA's on both systems and the first one works great. No problems.

On the second one, I just installed the SATA hardrive(WD 80 gig), plugged everything in, and booted up. During the post, the system kept hanging while it was trying to detect the IDE drives, and then finally it would just show the DVD rom and burner, but no HD. I went into BIOS and made sure that SATA was both enabled and also set to IDE(and not RAID). Rebooted and same problem. I tried everything I could think of and still nothing.

I even pulled out the first system and swapped hardrives. Once I did this, the second system booted without a hitch, so I thought it was a bad drive. Then, just for fun, I put the alledged bad drive into the first machine and connected it to test it. You guessed it, it booted up just fine. I don't know what to make of it.

Any ideas?

Jumpers sound right. Its not a bad drive. It is a building error. Do you hear any beep codes, can you boot up past BIOS? Whats the scoop ?

SATA drives don't have jumpers do they? They don't have master/slave configuration so what would the jumpers be for?

Apokalipse,

No, I checked the power connectors, I even tried using the SATA power adapter just in case. I've tried this over and over many times, spent a couple of hours messing with different bios settings, even tried uplugging my IDE0 cable that has my optical drives on it.

Chankama,

The drives aren't actually the same. One is a 120 GB, while th other is only 80. Also, the one that works is all set to go. I don't wan't to have to reinstall everything on that again.

majistic,

I don't think it's a builing error cause when I plug in the other drive, with the same cable and everything, it boots up just fine.

gaara,

I have not installed any drivers, nor should I have to unless I'm using the drive in RAID(which I'm not). Like I said, the other drive worked when I swapped it on to this system.

Thanks for all the reply's. I'm going to RMA it back to newegg, and just take the 15% hit. I just picked up another 120 GB WD(the same exact one as the one that worked) at Fry's for a better price than the 80 so hopefully that will do the trick.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom