2 PSUs in one case

Status
Not open for further replies.
i have been in the same dillema lately. i want to put this 250w AT psu. it has its own switch and everything. i can power my fans and stuff with it it. my main powersupply is a AMC 300w ATX that is 5 years old. this powersupply is suprisingly good.

for 5 years old and only 300w with 12amps on the +12v rail. i have 2 optical drives, 2 40mm fans, 1 80mm, a 120mmx38mm massive fan, and all the hardware in my sig. i thought the 6800gt and the 120mm fan would have burnt it out but it still has stable voltages.

sooner or later im gunna buy an anyec or something, but i think this 300w one is gunna be around for a while longer.

smileygladhands said:
How about you save some money.. save some heat and save some electricity.. and just buy a good, strong psu that will handle everything you've got.. wild idea.. I know.

You might think that. Anyways, the original reason I posed this question was mainly because of saving money :). I am interested in buying a UPS unit to power up my system. But, just thinking ahead for the future, if I have a 600 W PSU, a "regularly priced" UPS just doesn't seem to be able to do the job - if I am reading their specs correctly.

A 450 W UPS is $120 Cdn. Anything higher, forget about it. Just too expensive. So why not connect the CPU and mobo and the HDDs to one unit and the vid card and external devices to the other? Now, this is with the assumption that having a non-functioning vidcard while the rest of the system is running will "not" be a problem. I don't know if it will be or if Windows will crap out on me. After all, it is a Windows issue. Anyone who writes an OS can write it so that the presence of a vid card or other non-essential devices are not mandatory.

When Windows realizes the vidcard is suddently not working, maybe it'll halt. Not sure since I've never done it. Otherwise, the computer will keep running any critical programs on the system - which I sometimes have. And when the main power comes back on, the secondary PSU will kick back in and activate the other components.

Probably won't do it :(. But still good to know of the possibilities :).

Crazy idea? Dunno. Point out any problems with this! :D

It should the black wire that is right next to the green wire. Most motherboards have a manual that tell you what jumpers are and what the plugs are, and also the atx connector.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom