What do you use to lap heatsink??

Status
Not open for further replies.

aznboi88

Baseband Member
I dont wanna sound stupid or anything but what can i use to lap my copper heatsink as in what kind of tools or materials do i use???

I wouldn't use brasso because chances are it leave behind a residue which is a no no.

It's best to use a piece of glass since it's perfectly flat to sand on.

You need varying grits of sand paper starting at 800grit, working your way up to 2000grit and/or 10 micron sand paper.

It takes quite a while per sheat and using water during the whole process is better. Wet sanding is always better than dry sanding plus will wash off the build up of metals.

Then if you can get ahold of some, while finishing up with the 10 micron paper use some 10,000grit polishing compound. This will basically bring it to mirror finish

I only said to use brasso because we use it at school after the wet and dry abrasive paper to bring acrylic to a good finish since its a very fine abrasive.

Nubius said:
I wouldn't use brasso because chances are it leave behind a residue which is a no no.

It's best to use a piece of glass since it's perfectly flat to sand on.

You need varying grits of sand paper starting at 800grit, working your way up to 2000grit and/or 10 micron sand paper.

It takes quite a while per sheat and using water during the whole process is better. Wet sanding is always better than dry sanding plus will wash off the build up of metals.

Then if you can get ahold of some, while finishing up with the 10 micron paper use some 10,000grit polishing compound. This will basically bring it to mirror finish

Exactly what nubius said, but with 2000 grit you basicly get a mirrior surface.

But if your lapping old intel heatsinks, i need to start off with an 80 grit industrial sander, im not joking :eek:

Just go and buy a lapping kit,It will come with all the sand paper you need,The only thing it will not come with is the polishing compound but you can alway's buy that after.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom