Router Configuration For Remote Access

Status
Not open for further replies.
Question ekÆsine,
In your second post, , you said "if dynamic and using a DNS service you enter: selene.dyndns.org"
Can you please tell me where in the Host and/or Client computers you need to make that entry ?
I have installed the Dyndns software that you recommended and have configured my router (correctly, I hope, but wouldn't bet on it)
It's approaching crunch time :)
My eye's getting better by the minute, you may be pleased to hear.

that's great news to hear maloner. it's good to hear that your vision loss isn't completely permanent. pcAnywhere is hard to set up at first so don't give up. i will help you as much as you need.

i think you got confused when you said "the dnydns software". the IP updater program called Dynamic_DNS_5 is not made by the same people who run the dyndns.org DNS service. they are 2 completely different things. i will clarify for you:

you need a DNS service that will resolve the IP address for you. what that does is when someone makes a request to connect to selene.dyndns.org the DNS service, which in this case is dyndns.org, accepts you request and gives you the real IP address that it has in it's database.

now you are wondering why do we need an updater program? because their is no way for the DNS service to know what the new IP address is when it changes. so when the IP address changes on the client machine that machine must somehow tell the DNS service (dyndns.org) to update its database with the new IP address.

all clients must have an updater program running at all times so when their IP address changes the updater will login to your DYNDNS.org account and update the IP address. make sure that Dynamic_DNS_5 always loads up when windows loads up.

you can do this by finding the option in Dynamic_DNS_5 to start up automatically at windows loadup. if there isn't an option like that which i am sure there is, than you must copy the shortcut that opens Dynamic_DNS_5 and drag and paste it into the windows "startup " folder. it's location is

C:\Documents and Settings\XP2500B\Start Menu\Programs\Startup

replace XP2500B with your own windows user account name. user account name is the name you would see when you first login to windows or when you click the start> log off buttons. this is done on every client computer so make sure this is the user account name that the client has. it is the name of what they are logged on in their operating system right now or whichever will be used for pcAnywhere.

we are doing this because we want Dynamic_DNS_5 to run when windows loads up. on my all computer i have no security and no password protected user accounts. i am not sure if or how this affects pcAnywhere's operation becuase if the first admiistrator account is password protected at windows load you will get a login screen or box that asks you to login to your account. this may or may not prevent pcanywhere from connecting to a client since the client isn't even logged in to their account. i have never tried this.

you must make sure that Dynamic_DNS_5 is setup correctly on all clients by looking at the icon in the system tray near the clock at bottom right corner. if you see a red traffic light that means incorrect configuration. if you see green you are good to go.

on the Dynamic_DNS_5 you will find a list of services that check the client's IP address and report it to the client after a specified amount of seconds. make sure in the client's Dynamic_DNS_5 configuration that you set this number to something high enough so the service will no deny you access to their service. if the Dynamic_DNS_5 updater checks the service too often you will be denied. i think 600 seconds is a safe number, check on the FAQ on the Dynamic_DNS_5 site. and remember that the number you enter uses a multiplier usually 10, so 10 x 60 = 600 seconds.

also the default service address is often too busy, you may want to use another IP service. i found this on dynamic_DNS_5 website at http://www.sitedevelopers.com/ :

Available IP Detect Sites:
http://checkip.dyndns.org - set detect rate to 600 seconds or higher
http://ip.xtram.com - set detect rate to 120 seconds or higher (Thank you to Aquilo for making this available!)
http://ipid.shat.net/iponly/ - set detect rate to 300 seconds or higher

i have tested and used http://ipid.shat.net/iponly/ and found is is more reliable than the default address dynamic_DNS_5 uses when you first installed it. you should change it to that also if you have problems with service not avalaible.

assuming you have created a dynamic DNS zone/ host correctly on dyndns.org you are ready to configure pcAnywere to connect to your dnydns account

maloner remember where you originally put the 192.168.0.B or A numbers into pcAnywhere? that's where you replace the numbers with example: selene.dyndns.org . replace selene with your account name you created at dyndns.org.

i just realized i either know more about pcAnywhere than i thought or my explanation is too lenghty. setting up pcAnywhere takes about 5 minutes and i think reading my help took about 5 hours :) maloner you should test everything to make sure it all works and reboot the client machines to see if they are still available to connect to after rebooting. if you want me to i can remotely connect to your machines through winXP remote assistance to help you setup those machines if you are stuck. just let me know

Hi ekÆsine,
Well, despite your best efforts, I'm kinda confused - you're right about that ! :)
I have installed Dynamic DNS Client V5.0.13 and it's sitting in my taskbar with a green light showing.
I have "http://ipid.shat.net/iponly/ - set detect rate to 300 seconds or higher" set as you suggested.
I now have xxxxx.dyndns.org where I previously had the 192.168.0.A and B (where the xxxxx is my account name at dyndns.org).
I have my router and firewall set to have ports TCP 5631 and UDP 5632 enabled, but I CANNOT GUARANTEE that those settings have been made correctly; the querie being that in my router settings I have "Start Port 5631, End Port 5632, Server IP Address 203.59.115.135" and I don't think that's quite right. I tried to put xxxxx.dyndns.org in the Server IP Address box but, duh!....it wouldn't fit :)
I think that I may need to take you up on the offer.... "if you want me to i can remotely connect to your machines through winXP remote assistance to help you setup those machines if you are stuck. just let me know"
I take it,ekÆsine, that you're referring to the Programs/Accessories/Communications/Remote Desktop Connection thing; is that correct ?
I've never used it before but, I guess, it would necessitate some synchronization between us so, if that's the case, the GMT offset time here is GMT+8.
If there's a time convenient to you that I could make myself available to recieve your remote assistance with this thing, please email me at maloner@bigfoot.com and I'll do my best to fit in with your schedule.
Appreciate your offer; hope I'm not being too much of a pain.
Thanks ekÆsine.
Oh, and ps. Here's the kicker ! I went back to work today and.....guess what ?
The boss made an executive decision in my absence - the office is going wireless!
How is that going to affect the workings of pcAnywhere ?
Time to give up on this thing ?
I won't hold you to your offer; just tell everyone in my local brothel :)
Seriously.....if it's too hard, we can quit. Really.

i plan to help you out all the way until i run out of ideas or we get you up and running with PCA :) if you rather not read all this than scroll down to the bottom and read how to send me a invitation.

well if you are trying to open the ports with one setting, do you have Start Port 5631 and End Port 5632 opened for both UDP AND TCP? you need ports opened for 5631 TCP, and 5632 UDP.

you did not mention what firewall you are using on each client machine. if you have a router and winXP firewall turned on than you should turn it off since the router's NAT effectively acts as the firewall for you.

when you said 'Server IP Address 203.59.115.135' there is no way for me to verify for you if that is correct or not since i cannot see what is listed in your DHCP client list. otherwise you could enter 'ipconfig /all' into a DOS prompt and that would tell you which IP address to use.

remote desktop is a way to remotely connect to a computer. this is commonly used by someone at an office or home to have access to their desktop machine which traveling somewhere. they would use a laptop and a 56K modem to connect to the remote computer.

what i was talking about is remote assistance which is a way for someone to remotely access another computer and take over the fucntions of their mouse and keyboard. what that does is let me control your computer to help you set up pcAnywhere. yes i know it's ironic so no need to point this out: we are using remote control software to set up another remote control software.

as for your question about wireless, pcAnywhere can operate with a 56K connection. wireless networking equiptment is slower than wired networking by far, but pcAnywhere will still work. the speed penalty depends on what wireless technology they are using.

if the access point and the wireless network cards support 802.11b you are limited to 11Mbps and if it is 802.11a, or 802.11g than you are limited to 54Mbps. why your boss made the decision to go wireless is beyond my comprehension since you guys already had a wired network in place.
--------------------------------

i think first we need to set up your host computer (the one that will be remotely connecting to the clients) than set up the individual clients. so get on your host machine and send me a remote assistance invitation. click on the start button and click help & support. where it says ask for assistance, click invite a friend......remote assistance.

go through the wizard to send a request and at the very end make sure you select 'save to file' at the very bottom. email the request to eksine@hotmail.com . you will only be able to send it to me through your bigfoot.com email. i have blocked all other email except what's in my email list from getting to my inbox to prevent spam.

you may want to send me at least 2 invitations to save time. i live in washington state so i think we are in the same pacific -8:00 GMT time zone. it varies when i'm on so i will try to connect to you at various times during the day. you will be prompted that someone is trying to request a remote assistance session with you. you would than accept it and we are set.

is your host machine a desktop using only 1 internet connection on one network or is it a laptop that gets moved around a lot? if so that may be a problem. and what connection type do you have? 56K, DSL, cable?

Gee you're a tiger for punishment, ekÆsine :) Thanks.
Ok, here we go.
Taking your points in reverse sequence :-

Q. what connection type do you have?
A. ADSL (always on) 256/128

Q. is it a laptop that gets moved around ?
A. Laptop, but only used at work and at home. This setup that we're going to be effecting will be done from home but, when set up from home, the laptop will be used mainly from work, initially, and later, when I get more comfortable with this remote thing, from anywhere else I can find a socket. You know.... hotel, betting shop, brothel - the usual places a good little Catholic boy frequents :)

Q. i think we are in the same pacific -8:00 GMT time zone
A. Uh uh. I'm on the west coast of Australia : GMT+8 (a 16 hour difference)

Q. you may want to send me at least 2 invitations to save time
A. Will do but, at the moment, the wizard says "Your current system settings prevent you from sending an invitation", but I'm working on it. May be the Zone Alarm Pro firewall. I'll close it down and see what happens.
Nope ! ZAP closed and still getting same message. Will keep trying.

Q.why your boss made the decision to go wireless is beyond my comprehension
A. Stupidity takes some understanding ! He's been listening to his tech lady.

Finally, as soon as I've worked out my "invitation" problem, I'll get right back to you.

Cya mate !

that is strange maybe you do not have remote assistance enabled. hold down the windows key while you press the pause/ break key. you will get the system properties.

click on the remote tab and see if you have the allow invitations box unchecked. otherwise we could have a problem with your firewall. also you might check with the microsoft site for this error, but i do not think i have ever gotten that before.

you are selecting 'save as file' at the end of the setup for it right?

"....click on the remote tab and see if you have the allow invitations box unchecked".
That's the problem, alright, ekÆsine.
Will fix and get back to you.
Thanks.

Well, ekÆsine, the Laptop's primed and ready to go, the email invite has been sent and I'm sittin' here waitin' :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom