new PC doesn't recognize CRT monitor

Status
Not open for further replies.

g4f

Beta member
I just completed my first build today - ASUS motherboard (8T800 or something), Athlon 64 2800+, 2x512MB Corsair RAM, GeForce 5200 video card. At first it simply wasn't booting at all - as in I pressed the front power button and nothing happened. I took it into work as we have a PSU tester there, and as fate would have it, newegg shipped me a dud PSU. So we go through and install a new one, everyone looks good, it boots fine. My friend goes into setup, just kind of looks around, we agree everything looks good.

I come home, and I am quite surprised to find that the old 19" CRT monitor I have been using for years now doesn't seem to work! It's plugged into the serial port on the GeForce graphics card, as the ASUS motherboard does not have a port for it. My friend's monitor worked just fine, but I bring it home, and nothing! The monitor simply stays as if it were in hibernation with the yellow LED and I cannot get it to turn to the green one. I have no idea what has happened - I went through and checked all the cables, everything is fine - I didn't bump it on the way home or anything. Is there something obvious I'm missing? It could be something to do with the graphics card I suppose..

Please help :( Thank you!

Sounds like your computer isn't posting....which means the monitor has nothing to do with it.

Your computer has a hardware problem, could be the graphics card or RAM just needs to be resat again and then try to boot up.

99% of the time when people say their monitor doesn't come on, they want to blame the monitor or graphics card and it's generally as something as simple as a part needs to be resat because comps are weird like that, or theres a major problem keeping it from POSTing at all

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom