Radeon 9800 Pro

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got the 9800Pro a few years back and its been great to me so far. I can still play DOOM3 and HL2 with just about everything on the highest setting. I am planning on a getting a new card though cause i expect the next wave of games to come out will blow it away. For that price i say go for it.

HAVOC2k5 said:
The 9800 Pro Sucks. I've had one. I hated it. Midrange games it's fine, but with the newer games like Doom3, HL2, CS:S - It's just plain blahhhh. You can't use any higher than low-to may-be mid settings.

Keep in mind I did have a P4 3.2GHz in that machine, may-be it might be a bit better in a AMD based machine...

THIS IS ONLY MY OPINION
He's on a budget, so why don't you suggest a better card he can get for that price instead of just saying the card sucks? What do you expect him to go and get dual 6800 gt's or whatever it is you have even if he doesn't have the money?

Don't start spouting random crap in every thread. If you said the 9800 pro sucks for the budget level this would be another story because you would actually be giving him reasonable advice.

the 9800pro does not suck. My friends got one and it plays all the latest games. Not everyone has the money for the new gen cards.. and the 9800 pro, old as it is still up there

9800 Pro is one of the all time classics. A great, well built card. FYI, Half life 2 was built on the 9800 pro, so theoretclly, it should run great on it.

HAVOC2k5 said:
The 9800 Pro Sucks. I've had one. I hated it. Midrange games it's fine, but with the newer games like Doom3, HL2, CS:S - It's just plain blahhhh. You can't use any higher than low-to may-be mid settings.

Keep in mind I did have a P4 3.2GHz in that machine, may-be it might be a bit better in a AMD based machine...

THIS IS ONLY MY OPINION

Perhaps you had a defective card. The 9800 Pro still performs very well.

Yes I have the 9800pro, its a great card for its value. It plays HL2 very well I have it on higher settings (not the highest) and get good frame rates. 50's in huge areas and over 120 in closed areas. I cant complain, and I am going to upgrade with my fed tax return. :p

VIII said:
he just said DO NOT suggest the 6600gt, read you dyslexic bogan.
be nice....

if you can't afford the 6600, then the 9800 is still a very good card. you'll be able to play HL2 and Doom 3 fine

just make sure you uninstall the Nvidia drivers first before you install the ATI drivers

Actually you might want to just burn the hard drive and get a new one. ATI and NVIDIA drivers always get into a cat fight no matter how much you try to uninstall one of them.

I have had success with driver cleaner. I had my 9800 in, wiped ati drivers off, tested out a gforce 4, then went back to my 9800, no problems. A reformat is a good idea, but if you cant, then driver cleaner will be just fine. Good luck.

9800 Pro is what I would consider to be a "bare minimum" card for today. I wouldn't use anything less than 9800 Pro in a serious gaming situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom