Maxtor 120GB 7200RPM SATA 8M

Status
Not open for further replies.

Milly

Solid State Member
So i got me a Maxtor 120GB 7200RPM SATA 8M HD, orginally using a Maxtor 7200 RPM ATA HD...

Anyways i have never used HD's this big b4 and the first thing i noticed is the noise factor. Way noisier then my old HD. like this one i can hear the thing spin whenever i am accessing it. I was transfering some file and all i hear is the GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr noise. is that normal for these drives??

I don't think so. I've got a Maxtor 200GB SATA drive, not much sound. Maybe some screws loose from installation?

remember the older drives when you would read or write to them you would ear that GREERRRERERERERRERERE as the data was being accessed??? That is exactly what it does.

Everything seems to work fine, except for that grinding noise kinda thing.... was wondering if there was a tool that i could run to test the RPM of the drive to ensure that indeed it does reach 7200

If not then odds are the bearings or what not are screwy and I need to have it replaced...

Thanx again for the info..

It's nothing bad, unless you can hear it over minimal sound from decent computer speakers.

SMART is enabled and does not report any errors. maybe it is just my imagination but after talking t oa few people who are running SATA 120 -200 GB tell me the sound is minimal and hardly noticeable... Well in this case mine is very noticeable, i expected this baby to be quieter then my old 20 gb and my old 12 gb meanwhile it is much noisier...

Anyways I will be having it replaced come tuesday :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom