what a nightmare!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

cobelloy

Beta member
I recently bought a new (but oldish) mobo and case to go with an AMD 2000+ and a stick of 266 RAM I had laying about. Well, the onboard sound and graphics dont work and I have had a few crashes too. I have reloaded windows but no improvement. The graphics drivers load fine but don't work and the sound drivers tell me I don't have a sound chip (I definately do). When I boot up with fast boot disabled it counts the RAM and freezes halfway, but usually boots up OK on a fast boot. I get alpa-numeric codes in the right bottom corner of the screen during boot and if it freezes it does it at code 51.

Also the old computer I was using is no longer working for me either, It was an older slot 1 mobo with a slocket and a coppermine 866 that warned me the system was abnormal during boot but ran just lovely otherwise. I took the good HDD and roms out of it and went back to a slot 1 500mHz chip and now it doesn't send any signal to the monitor, I tried a different PCI slot for the graphics card (32meg hercules card) a different monitor and a different (AGP) card and still no signal to monitor.

The new comp works OK with a graphics card (same as above) but no sound and difficult to boot, I am tearing my hair out!!!!

please help, anyone

If the computer is providing you with an error code 51 take a look at the mobo and see if you can determin the model and who makes it. Manufactures often have a list of error codes in the manual or on their website for their motherboards. You could also just get another mobo because they don't cost that much these days, especially for the processor that you want to use.

-GrayWolf

I already know the make and model, the mobo was brand new, supposedly... it is ASRock K7S41GX, and the manual and website don't make any reference to codes in the corner during boot up. As for being cheap, it cost about $100AUD which is about normal here in Western Australia, and if it turns out to be faulty, someone will be giving me a new one!!

thanks guys, any more suggestions will be appreciated.
xxCoral

OK, the graphics drivers that you installed... were they the ones that came with the mobo, or did you download and install the latest ones?

How about BIOS? Have you downloaded and installed the newest version?

Go into your BIOS, and click Advanced, Chipset Configuration. Make sure that the Onboard VGA Share Memory is set to Auto.

While in Advanced, go to Peripheral Configuration and make sure that the OnBoard AC '97 Audio is set to Auto or Enabled.

Just a thought... do you have your jumper set to the right FSB for your CPU? According to the online manual, the top jumper should be on the left and center posts, and the bottom jumper should be on the center and right post.

I don't know if any of this helps. If not, you may want to return the mobo for a new one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom