RAM question?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jcortes

Fully Optimized
hey i have a dell computer and in the manual it says to use two sticks of the same size ram, but i was wondering if i was to put two different sticks of ram in if that would mess things up.

thanx.

(specs below)

most dont care bout how much the ram stick has but idk if it says to keep them the same maybe u should... u can always test it i dont think itd kill ur computer.. but if u have alot of stuff on it i wouldn't bother..

It shouldn't kill your comp. But, depending on your motherboard, it may run slower as it cannot run dual channel with different sticks of ram. I would buy the sticks from Dell though, as I have read that sometimes having ram from different manufacturers can cause system instability (anyone correct me if I'm wrong). Obviously back up your data before doing any major work on your machine.

Well, since it's a desktop, you won't have any problems, unless the RAM is some cheap s**t, which even probably won't do much. I've seen many Dells on a 128 and a 256, or 256 and 512, etc.. all over. Nothing wrong has ever gone wrong.

You may have read it wrong, or they are just assuming and reccomending you use dual channel, since it is faster. You can use any RAM, but since it is Dell, I would buy it from them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom