XP SP2 Problems - Logon Process Terminating

Status
Not open for further replies.

ceraphik

Beta member
I just isntalled XP SP2 and when I reboot I get the pretty BSOD after the Win XP Pro loading screen.

"STOP: c000021 {Fatal System Error}

The Windows Logon Process system process terminated unexpectedly with a status of

0xc0000018 (0x00000000 0x00000000)"

I've tried safe mode, last known good configuration and I'm about to try repairing with xp cd though I'm waiting for my friend to drop off a disk that has the drivers for my sata drive

ok. i've fixed it - i'm insanely happy; time to backup!

what I did was booted from my xp pro cd. went to the usual screen where you choose the directory/partition to install the os but my old one was there so I hit r to repair it.

It copied a bunch of files like usual, but when I reset it went to the windows xp installing screen (scared the hell out of me). it was on the 'installing' step and it installed a bunch of the core/usual stuff and i had to put my cd key in again.

after it was finished i reset and lo and behold, my old usernames were there, and when i logged in, it was all normal, except i had sp1 installed :/

i'm going to install sp2 through Windows Update and not do anything like I was last time.

Having the exact same problem... tried to repair the installation, did exactly as you did. Unfortunately, after the final system reboot after the repair, I am now stuck in a reboot loop. PC boots up Windows start-up screen, and as it were about to get to log-in screen, it just reboots!

Anybody have any ideas? Comments are greatly appreciated :)

Always install Microsoft updates directly from Microsoft. You hinted that you had installed SP2 from a 3rd party source. Don't do that. That's always bad.

Also, sometimes, depending on how abused or how long out-of-date a computer is, the upgrade to SP2 can go a little rough. Usually if it doesn't go okay, reinstalling sorts things out. It's a small price to pay.

Tried reinstalling Windows with an older version of XP pro, and it just told me that setup could not access the disc or partition selected when I chose my current partition that Windows is on.

Also, repaired using the newest SP2 integrated version of Windows I have, and now I am stuck in a continuous reboot loop... When booting up, it gets to the Windows startup screen, then reboots. Any help is greatly appreciated...

Yeah, hard-drive's boot sector, or the OS's boot.ini are hosed. Yer gonna have to either reformat, or slave it to another drive with an OS and have a look.

ceraphik said:
ok. i've fixed it - i'm insanely happy; time to backup!

what I did was booted from my xp pro cd. went to the usual screen where you choose the directory/partition to install the os but my old one was there so I hit r to repair it.

It copied a bunch of files like usual, but when I reset it went to the windows xp installing screen (scared the hell out of me). it was on the 'installing' step and it installed a bunch of the core/usual stuff and i had to put my cd key in again.

after it was finished i reset and lo and behold, my old usernames were there, and when i logged in, it was all normal, except i had sp1 installed :/

i'm going to install sp2 through Windows Update and not do anything like I was last time.

Well, the reason why you didn't lose any of YOUR files was because this wasn't a full re-install. You just installed the core files.

ThaTrik said:
Is there any way to fix the boot.ini from another comp if the drive is slaved?
Sure. But the boot.ini file is the easiest to fix (which means it's the less likely of the two to be the problem).

leard how to slipstream SP2 in with your xp disc and do a fresh install.
those are the only stable sp2 installs.sp2 also does something to the mbr that make reinstalling sp1 hard.

you can use the powermax utility in my sig to wipe your hard drive clean to reinstall sp 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom