Overvolt? Overclock?

Status
Not open for further replies.

woot7800GT

Daemon Poster
Okay, I've been thinking about OCing lately. In my BIOS, it has two options for my GPU and CPU, Overvoltage, and overclock. I thought these were the same. I'm a noob at OCing so please help. Thanks.

Voltage relates to how much power you are giving your CPU or GPU and is needed for overclocking (depending how far you go with it). If you overclock your GPU or CPU alot it will in turn, need more power. Don't mess with the voltage setting yet.

For GPU:
Overclocking is where you increase core and/or clock speed. In lamens terms means increasing the speed at which it operates. The faster the speeds, the hotter it gets, so keep an eye on that.

For CPU:
Overclocking deals with a multiplier (x5, x9 etc etc) and your FSB (Front side bus). More can be learnt about it here.

Hope this helps.

Woot6600GT, im probably one of the most experieced people here with OC FAILURES. I have corrupt windows tons of times. OC can seriously screw your computer up!! The most common negitive effect from OC you will hear, is burning your computer up.
But this is the least experieced!

What is the most common, is corrupting windows. Basically, from OC windows gets trashed. The ending result is you cannot use windows any longer. Everything that was on certain partitions, cannot be accessed. So everything is lost, all your video games, music, programs, ect. The only way to fix this, is completely rebooting your computer. So you install windows all over, and start fresh. Sometimes you can replace a file, or fix the problem using the windows boot cd. But you have know how. For normal users, its to technicial.

I highly recoomend learning as much as possible before you OC. Also read that link Imation gave. Intil you completely understand it. You will also need some type of cooling system for your computer, if you want to OC. Along with a temperature monitor.

You can only raise the multiplier if you have an AMD64 FX series CPU or a mobile chip.

All the AMD's can lower their multis when using high FSB's, but you can't raise them

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom