How permanent is permanent?

Status
Not open for further replies.

orlimar105

Solid State Member
I would like to delete and remove all trace to an outlook email message from my work email, which I presume is kept on a server. I have permanently deleted the mail in accordance with normal outlook procedures. However, is there a chance there is a some trace of this email out there, and is there any way to ensure that all trace is removed?

Assuming your office is using the Microsoft Exchange Server, did you go take a look at its archives and caches?

Also, if they run backups on the MSES, then yes, there's probably a copy of that email laying around somewhere.

Why? Did you do a no no with the business email system? :)

Yes - guilty as charged!

I deleted the message (permanently) as soon as I realised, so I'm hoping that if the archiving only takes place periodically they would not have caught it.

I've got a few excuses up my sleeve (spam, virus, etc), so hopefully it's not the end of my career.

orlimar105 said:
so hopefully it's not the end of my career.
Not unless you donate $3000 a month to TF, otherwise this thread may become public. You wouldn't want that, would you?

:D :p :D

They're only going to look in the email archives if they have reason. If the email in question was sent to a fellow employee and they comlain, it will be found. If they have no reason to look at it, they wont. Dont go asking your administrator to delete it though, as he will read it and turn it over to the right people if it is bad. His job depends on it. Ignore it, hopefull it will go away.

What I didnt mention is that the email is there. Somewhere on the network, I dont know where, but it is there.

Is it safe to say it will always be there or will it eventually be deleted when the system is next backed-up? I'm past caring at this stage, just curious.

No, it's safe to say it will always be there until he decides to purge all the emails. If you're really worried, it is time to start calling in some favors and get in there and permanently get rid of it. Other than that, I really cant help you anymore. I'm sorry, all i can say is you should not do that kind of stuff at work. How bad was it? Is it grounds for termination, or just reprimand?

People should know better....
The Echange system, depending on which version can contain the email permantly or for only x days for a purge cycle. The server doesn't have infinate space, so they will want to clean off junk. This included deleted items. Now, if you are running verision 2002 or 2003 then you will want to delete your recover deleted items data so that it's not there either. Aside from that there isn't much left for you to do. Just curious though, what was it that you sent? or recieved?

So Inaris, are you saying I can now sleep at night?

Him, the latter I suspect.

Let me put it this way: it was something that was sent to me at work that I would have preferred to be sent to a personal email instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom