shutting down

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blitze105

Daemon Poster
hey.. my windows xp is being a pain.. sometimes itll reboot in 5 seconds.. and sometimes it will take 5 minutes to turn off (or more) and sometimes i think it jsut froze... any one know what might be causing this???

there are a lot of possiblities... It's a very broad area of problems.
You can run Checkdisk to see if that will help. Remove unneeded programs from the startup area. Check and see if you have shutdownscripts enabled.
it's just too big to narrow down easily...

Well, have you installed anything lately, and if so what?
Have you been browsing sites and noticed any lag, maybe you have something running in the background (services?) that are trying to _shut down_ with the computer. Are you running a specific program before each shutdown? More information please.

sorry bout my vague topic.. well i installed dell pocket dj driver... thats all for new installs... i have msn.. yahoo.. aol.. avg.. ZA and thats all.. it goes to the screen saying windows is shutting down for like 10 minutes.. really gettin annoying.. and sorry.. but how do i find out what shutdown scripts i have running =(

I would uninstall any unused programs, run a program called CCleaner [link] and defrag. See if that helps.

id use it.. but i cant d/l it says downloading at 0.0 a sec

(hate to mention this but how do i open a directory? kus i thought i know how but apperently not)

Click start run, C: then start.
that will open your c drive.
or press "windowskey" + "E" and that will open explorer. Double clicking a folder will open it. Right click select new folder to create a new one.
shutdown scripts are in %systemroot%\system32\GroupPolicy\Machine\Scripts\Shutdown
I doubt there is, but there is a chance.
hope that helps...

Alex4R said:
I would uninstall any unused programs, run a program called CCleaner [link] and defrag. See if that helps.

Agreed. It's very important to regularly run disk cleaner and disk defrag.

Blitze105 said:
i do defrag it.. and disk clean. and it dun help. :/

Try to disable Zone Alarm to see if your computer will stay up. You might want to disconnect your network cable first.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom