Got My Parts

Status
Not open for further replies.
ok.....ive read that this board has problems with 20 pin psu, but ill try it.....and if i have trouble i guess ill go get a new psu.....man this is gonna hurt my wallet, im already in debt lol......guess i wont be able to buy any games for it, better start looking up on that free game list in the useful links section.

psu is never something to go cheap on - i suggest getting the fortron bluestorm 500w, antec neopower 480w, or the OCZmodstream 450w

btw, america's army is good :D

alright thx for the info, yeah this site has a section for the 24 pin like you said, and it has a nice display of the voltage info. and as for americas army, looks like an awsome game. ill make sure to ask you guys about any power supply i find before i buy it.

btw.....i know i keep asking this, but no1 seems to answer.....for exaple 12v@20A, whats a good number of A's to get for 12v? I ask this because some1 said that 12v@20A was decent when they talked about my stock psu awhile back....but the numbers jump around so much that i dont even know if it matters.....and also should i try to get a supply with 12v1 and 12v2?

edit:also is there anything else i should know about psu before i pick one out? all those numbers are confusing..........plus i dont know anything about them except i have to make sure they have 12v and a good number of watts.

dale5605 said:
I suppose you could use a rag. Myself I just hold a cotton ball on the end of the alcohol and tip it to get the cotton ball moist. Then I wipe it down and let it dry. A rag might be too rough, probably a soft cloth or cotton ball is better.

edit: the grey material is your thermal pad, you'll want to leave that alone. that should make contact with the processor when you set it up.

It's usually recommended that you wipe it using some non-lint item.. even microscopic lint can inhibit your heatsink's ability to transfer heat.

A good thing to use is a coffee filter. I would NOT use a cotton ball or a q-tip.

Also, try not to touch any contact areas with your bare fingers.. your oils can seep in the minute cracks that you can't see and inhibit proper heat transfer.

And, something I learned the hard way.. use a good thermal compound. It will be worth it in the long run. I recommend Arctic 5 Silver.

ok, ill try to get artic silver 5. as for putting it on the cpu, is it ok to use your hands to smear on the grease since you arnt directly touching the cpu, or is it a good idea to use something else to smear it? and are paper towels ok to use? or will they leave little microscopic bits behind too?

use some plastic around your finger, don't use your finger. Like a ziploc bag or soemthing.

For your PSU you are looking at minimum of 20A on the +12V rail. Also, multiple 12V rails is a nice thing to have. The power supply I bought recently has 3 +12V rails and it's awesome. Try to give us a budget for the power supply and we will find something that will be awesome.
Also if you could tell us if you prefer LEDs or whatever since some power supplies have blue LEDs and what-not.

Also you should get your power supply from antec, thermaltake, or OCZ probably

im willing to spend around 100 bucks, pref lower, but i really dont want to go past 110. and LED lights are a plus.]

edit:also, would it be a good idea to get latex gloves for building the computer?i hate getting fingerprints on those shiny parts, and it would be easier to use than a plastic bag, but would it be good for spreading the grease?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom