Very strange windows and Dell problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
i've come across something very similar, that sounds like an aim virus i ran across a month ago. i had to start the computer in safe mode and delete the exeÂ’s manually and clean the keys out of the reg. iÂ’ve seen two variations,
[sinstantm.exe]
In [C:\WINDOWS\System32\SINSTANTM.EXE ]
[ HKCU\..\RunOnce: [Scuba Instant Messenger] SINSTANTM.EXE]
[HKLM\..\Run: [Scuba Instant Messenger] SINSTANTM.EXE]

and like [AOL Client.exe] or [client.exe] i forget exactlly but it was in the C:\%Systemroot%\system32\ folder. and i just looked, xp pro thereÂ’s no client.exe or aol client.exe, so if there is one, it should be pretty safe to delete. but thisÂ’ll need to be done in safe mode, cause the exeÂ’s running and you canÂ’t delete a running exe. thatÂ’s my suggestion, also you can try running a macafee scan in safe mode.

Â….. btw does macafee have the most current definitions????

(never liked macafee) opinion

SFC is the system file checker, and will require the cd, but it will replace the files that don't match the currect version. You might need to run the SP1/SP2 update again, but that shouldnt be a big deal if it gets you back up and running. Another option is to do that from the repair console of XP. That might actually be the better way.
Boot to the XP cd rom and do a repair from the console. Then run SFC from there...
Hope you get it working...
Good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom