memtest86 usage?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ekÆsine

Fully Optimized
does anyone know why memtest86+ v1.55 (http://www.memtest.org) is recommended over memtest86 v3.2 by overclockers? I've tried both and they are almost identical.

also when testing memory am I supposed to use the standard default test for 3-4 hours or do I loop test #5 for 50 passes or more? or what is the correct method of testing memory?

I'd say you should do the 3-4 hours to test the memory itself, or do the loop to test stability after overclocking

not sure why people would recommend v1.55 over v3.2 though

charles press C to get into the config menu and choose test#5 which is the block move test. it will loop indefinately. you need to wait for at least 50 passes which takes about 40 minutes. I heard 10 passes on test#5 is equal to 1 hours of memory testing on prime95. 50 is sufficient for stress testing a memory OC from what I gathered, but you still have to run prime95 after for a few hours

well, I've had RAM where it errored specifically on tests 4 and 7, so IMHO I'd say let the whole set of defaults run 3-4 hours and I guess if you still aren't satisfied, then just loop test 5 and bam you pretty much have a definitive answer as to whether or not it's stable.

As far as 1.55 being chosen over 3.2 I honestly don't know

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom