DVD-R vs. DVD+R

Status
Not open for further replies.
ok, like i said CHECK THE SPECS of the DVD burner your looking at, some DONT have the the SAME burn speeds for different formats,some do, they are different often times, and MOST OF THE TIME the + spec WILL BE FASTER if its different

for example my dvd burner will only burn "-" disks at 4x or slower no matter what
but it will do "+" disks at 8x, has nothing to do with the disk itself, its the burner,as long as it has a disk rated at enough speed I can burn them as fast as the burner will go for THAT format

as far as burn speeds, 8x- IS THE SAME AS 8x+ as far as actual burn time, the disks themselves ARE PHYSICALLY DIFFERENT, both can be played by most dvd players

its just like cdr's and cdrw's, just there's two physically different disk types which when burned properly can be played in the same player if done right

YES YOU CAN BURN A 16X DISK IN AN 8X burner and burn it at a max rate of 8X

horndude said:
ok, like i said CHECK THE SPECS of the DVD burner your looking at, some DONT have the the SAME burn speeds for different formats,some do, they are different often times

for example my dvd burner will only burn "-" disks at 4x or slower no matter what but it will do "+" disks at 8x, has nothing to do with the disk itself, its the burner,as long as it has a disk rated at enough speed I can burn them as fast as the burner will go for THAT format

I get that, but it would be a kick in the pants if the "16x +/- DL" you buy will only burn "-" at 4x. I mean, how would you know if you're buying OEM? I get that this might be the case with older burners, but the consumer obviously expects a product called "16x +/- DL" to burn 16x "-", even if the media isn't out yet. If that wasn't the case, would the product be caled "16x +/8x -"?

You give CD-R vs. CD-RW as an example-- well, CD-RW drives always gave full specs, Xx/Xx/Xx.

here, take a look at that, its labeled 16X +/- but it ISNT 16X for BOTH + and -

That Samsung is labelled as "16x4x16x DVD+RW / 12x4x16x DVD-RW / 5x DVD+R DL". I don't see it called simply "16x +/-", anywhere. I'm not saying you're wrong-- because I don't know. It just doesn't make any sense if it works that way. That would be deceptive advertising on the behalf of the manufacturer and/or retailer.

That model burns "-" at 12x. Do 12x discs for either format exists? I imagine that just means you can burn 16x "-" discs at 12x once they're released.

as far as burn speeds, 8x- IS THE SAME AS 8x+ as far as actual burn time, the disks themselves ARE PHYSICALLY DIFFERENT, both can be played by most dvd players

You have an 8x "-" and an 8x "+". They both take 8-10 minutes to burn, right?

Okay, I thought so. So what did you mean when you said " "-" is slower to burn than "+" " on page one?

because often times like i just posted, MOST BURNERS cant burn both formats at the same max speeds, just like the link to that one at tiger direct, go back a page on that site and its listed as 16x-/+, but in "-" format it will only do 12X

8X in either format is the same amount of burn time: total data divided by (burn rate * 1.385MB/sec)------->its a measure of how fast the disk gets data written to it

CDROMS 1X=150KB/sec
DVD's 1X=1.385MB/sec

horndude said:
8X in either format is the same amount of burn time: total data divided by (burn rate * 1.385MB/sec)------->its a measure of how fast the disk gets data written to it

CDROMS 1X=150KB/sec
DVD's 1X=1.385MB/sec

Right, so what did you mean when you said " "-" is slower to burn than "+" " in an earlier post? algu7344 also said that "+" is faster, but in relation to what I do not know. Did you just mean that "+" has faster media available currently?

...just like the link to that one at tiger direct, go back a page on that site and its listed as 16x-/+, but in "-" format it will only do 12X

Where "back a page"? On the DVD-RW drive index page, they're all listed with full specs, as well. Even on the main page, where that drive is advertised, it states "Samsung Dual Layer DVD Burner High performance speeds at 16x DVD+RW and 12x DVD-RW." If you're telling me that other companies are just reporting "16x +/-" for drives like these, I believe you-- and of course, I have a huge problem with it.

I go to that link thru the main page at tigerdirect and it was listed as a special deal as 16X+/- and thats ofetn the way you'll see it unless you get a detailed view

what I meant by the speed difference is IN GENERAL again for the 3rd time MOST BURNERS CANNOT BURN DISKS IN BOTH + and - FORMATS at the same MAX SPEED, SO it is true in GENERAL that using "+" format will be faster all else being equal, just like with CDRW's you cant burn them as fast as a CDR in most cases, the disk wont do it, and neither will the hardware

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/Category/category_tlc.asp?CatId=4
top left featured drives listed as 16X+/-

you are making this way more complicated than it needs to be

oh ya while im here, another question you had

standard DVD format for video:
resolution 720x480 NTSC
max video bitrate 5000kbps
video must be MPEG1 or MPEG2
audio max bitrate 448kbps
audio format mp1,mp2,ac3,DTS

those standards are set in stone, and they are going to be that way regardless of whether you burn the disk in "-" or "+" format

horndude said:
what I meant by the speed difference is IN GENERAL again for the 3rd time MOST BURNERS CANNOT BURN DISKS IN BOTH + and - FORMATS at the same MAX SPEED, SO it is true in GENERAL that using "+" format will be faster all else being equal, just lie with CDRW's you cant burn them as fast as a CDR in most cases, the disk wont do it, and neither will the hardware

I'm not daft, horndude. It just has been difficult for me to understand as you and others have written it. I finally get what you were meaning, though disagree with the phrasing. "+" is only ever "faster" than "-" if you're using faster media. The only way you're going to get that benefit in the current market is to use 16x "+" discs, and they're twice as expensive as 8x.

you are making this way more complicated than it needs to be

The trouble here is miscommunication, not that I'm overcomplicating anything. It's a complicated discussion to begin with, not to mention that everyone and his friend has contrasting misinformed opinions. Though I'm certainly thankful for your assistance and your patience.

sorry, but its not too tough to figure out really if youve ever burned a cdr, same exact principles, just different format and filesystem,cdr's went thru the exact same process when they came out, at first the burners were faster than the disks,then the disks got faster quicker than the hardware did, now they are equal, DVD's are going the same way

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom