nooo! a moment ruined!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
i do believe that my MSI nforce4 is 24 pin, but the 20 pin on my PSU works just fine. nor problems at all.

If you get a new mobo you will have to get a new processor also I think. Just keep the mobo and get an adapter. You will see only marginal gains at best with a new mobo. It's not worth it.

not if he gets another socket 478 motherboard

if you do replace the motherboard, you will have to do a repair of XP

also, socket 478 is for Intel only, Athlon XP's (and some Semprons) use Socket A, which is 462 pins

apokalipse said:
also, socket 478 is for Intel only, Athlon XP's (and some Semprons) use Socket A, which is 462 pins
Yeah, I know. It's my bad. Stupid mistake. :p

That's what I get for paying attention to 8 things at once while TF'ing! :D

You got me. Sorry for the mixup. Someone got me...and THIS TIME for a valid reason! LOL.

Anyways the only difference between the 20 pin and 24 pin connector is that the 24 pin is used so the mobo can control the speed of the fans in the PSU.

A 24-20 pin adapter works fine ive installed them on several computers and never had a problem. Stick with getting the adapter if you dont want to spend a lot of money because you wont want to spend much but then in the long run you will realize that you talked yourself going over your budget LOL it happens to everyone.

Best to just fork over the few dollars for an adapter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom