2 PSUs in one case

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chankama

Fully Optimized
Anyone know if people have tried putting 2 different PSUs in one case? One for the CPU/HDDs, etc. and another one for the vid cards and other less essential components. Should be an interesting mod.

I have two PSUs' in my server, and at one time I did have two in my case 1 for Components and one for fans and lights ect.

What's a good roomy case to have 2 PSUs in? Would something like the Thermaltake Soprano do? And I am presuming that u would put the 2nd PSU towards the bottom of the case? (below the upper PSU).

how much are you looking to spend on a case?
the Lian-Li PC-V2000 has a lot of room, but is pricey, and you'd have to mod it to put another PSU in

there may be server cases which can hold PSU's, but you'd have to look around

Right now I have two psu's in and on my case. I only have a ten bay mid tower case, so one has to sit on top of the case. 950w of power! You could remove the exterior of the second psu so it can fit in a few drive bays.

To get the second psu to power on you have to connect two of the atx conector's leads. If you need help on this let me know.

I am wondering if there is any way to hook the second psu's power on lines to that of the one connected to motherboard. Would this cause problems? Or should I just go with my bay mounted power switch?

Im looking to take a weak 180 watt PSU and putting it in my case to power the fans/lights and one HDD but i dont know how anything like this would be done, and i dont know how i would turn the second one on with the first one when i go to boot up....

The Coolermaster Stacker is a case I think of which supports dual power supplies (i'm considering this case for personal use so that's why I know :D).

ATX power supplies must be connected to the motherboard in order to operate so you'd have to rig up a Y splitter, but I've recently learn you can cross two wires and the PSU will operate without connectivity to a motherboard.

I'm not familiar with dual power supplies or wire mods so you'll have to wait for someone with a bit more knowledge on the subject to wander in here.

Yea theres a small green wire on the PSU that turns it on or something i think, i know nubius knows to get this to work... and a splitter wouldnt work because the motherboard would be getting power from both and the PSU's and board could overload.

connect the green wire and any black wire on the motherboard main connection plug and this will keep the power supply on as long as its plugged in and switched on. using it to power lights and fans in a case i painted cuz no system yet

Well what im wondering is if i could hook both green wires together then put them onto the mobo connection, so that the PSU is not constantly on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom