DVD-R vs. DVD+R

Status
Not open for further replies.
ZeroX said:
i disagree.

with bit settings used on + media it makes it more dvd player friendly.

well, if you stick to the standard DVD format specs you will get the best results as far as playback in various dvd players and that standard is independent of -r or +r

as far as bitsetting, I havent run into compatibilty issues yet with that,but I have seen plenty of older dvd players not play vcd's or svcd's made on a PC

Why do +s burn faster, and by how much? The list of times in your post didn't differentiate between the two formats. Can you give me an example? As in, an 8x "-" takes however long to burn in comparison to 8x "+". Thank you.

Also, can an 8x burner write to a 16x DVD (but just at 8x speed)? I can't recall the answer to this question. Obviously, you wouldn't want to-- as 16x + media is twice as expensive.... And heck, looking at that chart, what's the point of using 16x media period? It's a difference of 2-3 minutes tops, right?

write speed on the disk is max limit it can be safely written to--->8x disk can be written to at no more than 8x

the speeds vary because the method used to write the different media, "-" r's arent as easy to write apparently from a hardware standpoint,an 8x "-" r is the same speed as a 8x "+" r, but :

most dual format burners will have the speeds listed for each format, "+" are usually faster, by quite a bit, you might not have an 8x or 16x "-" option but have one for "+" format

difference between 16x and 8x may or may not be an issue, depends on how much of a hurry your in and how many your doing in a batch AND it may even be an issue with how much PC your running, burning a DVD is more of a load CPU/system wise than burning a CDR for example, sometimes if your doing lots of tasks at once a slower speed will be mandatory or you'll make a coaster even with "burn free" protection most drives have these days

You're saying a burner might go higher for "+" media, but all new burners are going to do "-" at at least 8x, right?

And I'm still having a bit of trouble understanding-- is a fresh, new 16x -/+ burner going to burn 8x media of both types at different speeds? What's the point of the moniker, then? Eight times what?

So can a burner that does 8x "+" max write to a 16x "+" disc at 8x? Or do you have to use 8x or lower media?

Thanks again.

horndude said:
well, if you stick to the standard DVD format specs you will get the best results as far as playback in various dvd players and that standard is independent of -r or +r

as far as bitsetting, I havent run into compatibilty issues yet with that,but I have seen plenty of older dvd players not play vcd's or svcd's made on a PC

i guess i'm not understanding what you are saying cus some of the stuff you have posted i have just not heard before.

did you read some of the links i posted?

kinda give you a idea of where i coming from when i say +r is more playback friendly.

-R might have been it back last year but things have changed of late.

Jonathan Bones said:
You're saying a burner might go higher for "+" media, but all new burners are going to do "-" at at least 8x, right?

And I'm still having a bit of trouble understanding-- is a fresh, new 16x -/+ burner going to burn 8x media of both types at different speeds? What's the point of the moniker, then? Eight times what?

So can a burner that does 8x "+" max write to a 16x "+" disc at 8x? Or do you have to use 8x or lower media?

Thanks again.

haha are you confused yet :eek:

i am:D

i think it's alot simpler then that.

Jonathan Bones said:

Thanks again.

1.] NO,check specs for THAT dvd burner in question
2.] the max speed the disk can be burned is limited by its labeled speed or the max speed the burner can do and still be under that, a 16x burner cant burn an 8x disk at 16x, it would have to burn an 8x disk at 8x or less
3.] YES, you can burn a 16x at any speed you want as long as its under 16x

1X in dvd burn speed=1.385MBytes/sec
1 avg disk=4.7Gbytes
which should take about 56mins roughly
2x takes half as long or about 28mins

ZeroX said:
i guess i'm not understanding what you are saying cus some of the stuff you have posted i have just not heard before.

did you read some of the links i posted?

kinda give you a idea of where i coming from when i say +r is more playback friendly.

-R might have been it back last year but things have changed of late.

yes things have changed, and an awful lot of people out there that still have dvd players that happily play about 90% of the disks used in them, and in most cases dvd-r's work just fine,same with dvd+r

not all burners support bitsetting, nor does all the software either for that matter

not all store bought or production dvd's are all that great either, ive run into a few that wouldnt play in some players, it happens

bottom line, make a few,see what works, and stick with it

horndude said:
1.] NO,check specs for THAT dvd burner in question

So a burner that's advertised as 16x +/- DL might not even be able to burn "-" at 8x? That doesn't make any sense.

2.] the max speed the disk can be burned is limited by its labeled speed or the max speed the burner can do and still be under that, a 16x burner cant burn an 8x disk at 16x, it would have to burn an 8x disk at 8x or less

That's not what I'm talking about. You said that "+" discs burn at higher speeds. So an 8x "+" would burn faster than an 8x "-"? How much faster? If it's a notable amount, the entire system for naming disc speeds becomes rubbish. I don't follow.

3.] YES, you can burn a 16x at any speed you want as long as its under 16x

You sort of answered my question in #2, but in the inverse. What I mean is, can you stick a 16x disc in a burner that's only 8x, and have it burn the disc at 8x? Or will the 8x burner not support the 16x disc at any speed?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom