Got My Parts

Status
Not open for further replies.
he never said to put stuff in while the power was on... i think you misread that, but anyway, yeah, its easy to put a computer together, everything only fits in 1 spot. the knowledge comes in when you have to fix computers...

charles_scott said:
You only need to use the alcohol if your going to remove the thermal pad/grease that comes with the HSF or when you take the HSF off to put new thermal grease on the CPU, and i think anything above 75% would work. So if your not going to put some thermal paste on there dont worry....
Well no you don't NEED to clean it. But it's recommended since there could be oils, dirt, and other residues on there that the alcohol will remove, whether you're using grease or pad.

I ended up cleaning that gray, what my dad said was double sided tape, since i took off the fan and stuff, and put some grease that my dad had left over, guessing it came with his cpu.

and diablo, the back audio plug-ins wont fit in the case, as there is a fan in the way, and also is the mobo sound better than a 24-bit blaster live that i salvaged from my old dell?

Also, there is a gold spot on one of the chips on the mobo, should i be worried about this cause it looks scary.

One last thing, i put thermal grease on my cpi, the layer i put on was see-through in parts of it, and others spots of the cpu has just a little more that which makes it not see-through. was that the right ammount? enough? too much, will it squish off the sides? if a little does go off the side, what will it do to the cpu? and after i get it ready to turn on, how hot should my cpu be so i can leave it in bios for a little bit and make sure it doesnt overheat.

edit:forgot to thank you guys for the help, so thanks :)

Vampire_Slayer said:
I ended up cleaning that gray, what my dad said was double sided tape, since i took off the fan and stuff, and put some grease that my dad had left over, guessing it came with his cpu.

and diablo, the back audio plug-ins wont fit in the case, as there is a fan in the way, and also is the mobo sound better than a 24-bit blaster live that i salvaged from my old dell?

Also, there is a gold spot on one of the chips on the mobo, should i be worried about this cause it looks scary.

One last thing, i put thermal grease on my cpi, the layer i put on was see-through in parts of it, and others spots of the cpu has just a little more that which makes it not see-through. was that the right ammount? enough? too much, will it squish off the sides? if a little does go off the side, what will it do to the cpu? and after i get it ready to turn on, how hot should my cpu be so i can leave it in bios for a little bit and make sure it doesnt overheat.

edit:forgot to thank you guys for the help, so thanks :)
Gold spot? I don't think it's anything to worry about, seems a little odd...
Well instead of spearding it all the way across you should have probably just got a amount in the middle so that it isn't quite see-through. Then when you attach the heatsink it will spread near to the edges but not over.
I think you;ll be fine though.

For the sound I think if it is an audigy Live! 5.1 sound card it might be a bit better than the onboard (well maybe not quality, but in running games and stuff it will give you less work for the processor) though I would recommend grabbing an audigy 2 ZS. That card is just great and only like $65.

For you temps in the 30's C or maybe 40's and you should be good. If it's in the 50s or 60s then tell us as there is most likely something wrong.

ok thanks, lol the psu that came with the case is 20 pin, so i need to get an adapter, and also my old cd drives have the holes drilled too far in the bad, so when i try to fit it in it goes too far forward, making it so i cant close the top door. so i guess im gonna be buying a new drive, and an adapter, and then i can get it up and running. also, i cant get my hands on windows xp anymore, so i may have to download that beta 64 xp.........is it as stable and secure as the original? does it get frequent updates? and when the 1 year runs out will I have to pay to keep it running, or will i only need to pay to get updates? and one less question, when the psu gets ##A for 12V, is it the higher, or lower ##A(example mine is a 20A) better? gonna be busy for a couple days, but i should have it up and running this weekend, guess ill have to play a few games and burn in the cpu, then see if i can save up for some better cooling. looking at zalman and artic silver......ill make sure to post the stats before and after when i do oc so that you guys can see what the parts you suggested are capable of;)

The DVD burner is good.
I don't thin you need an adapter, on most boards you can just put the 20 pin in and leave 4 pins empty and it works fine. A 24 pin adapter won't make it any better, a true 24 pin power supply would though...

If you want to do some serious overclocking I would get a better power supply and an aftermarket heatsink with arctic silver 5 for the cpu. You can overclock on stock, just not as much as you could aftermarket.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom