DVD-R vs. DVD+R

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jonathan Bones

Baseband Member
Current RW drives, of course, will burn both standards (provided there's not a media compatibility problem), but what, if any, are the actual differences? At my computer store, dash seems generally preferred. But there are those who come in looking only for plus, as well. When I'm asked what the differences are, I want to be prepared.

The only technical difference I can find is that each type uses a different laser-guidance method for reading and writing (and the DVD+RW Alliance claims that theirs is slightly better for compatibility). Other than that, hard information suggests that the discs are basically identical. Modern readers/players should play both.

+ (developed by DVD+RW Alliance): only format with 16x media currently available, only format with dual-layer media currently available, slightly more compatible with players

- (developed by Pioneer): dash media is more widely available (?), other benefits?

Please let me know if any of these points are incorrect.

I believe I once read that one format was designed more with general data storage in mind, and the other for video. But which is which? I've been given contrasting opinions. Is there really much of a difference, at this point? If I told you I wanted to store home videos/copy movies, would you suggest one format over another?

Thanks!

It all depends on what players can read what. Of mine, one can read both, and one can only read +. I would go with + unless you have problems with it.

There are three competing DVD Recording standards, DVD-R/DVD-RW and DVD+R/DVD+RW have pretty similiar features and are compatible with many standalone DVD Players and most DVD-ROMs while DVD-RAM has less DVD Player and DVD-ROM compatibility but better recording features.

DVD-R and DVD-RW
DVD-R was the first DVD recording format released that was compatible with standalone DVD Players.
DVD-R is a non-rewriteable format and it is compatible with about 93% of all DVD Players and most DVD-ROMs.
DVD-RW is a rewriteable format and it is compatible with about 80% of all DVD Players and most DVD-ROMs.
DVD-R and DVD-RW supports single side 4.37 computer GB* DVDs(called DVD-5) and double sided 8.75 computer GB* DVDs(called DVD-10).
These formats are supported by DVDForum.

DVD+R and DVD+RW
DVD+R is a non-rewritable format and it is compatible with about 89% of all DVD Players and most DVD-ROMs.
DVD+RW is a rewritable format and is compatible with about 79% of all DVD Players and most DVD-ROMs.
DVD+R and DVD+RW supports single side 4.37 computer GB* DVDs(called DVD-5) and double side 8.75 computer GB* DVDs(called DVD-10).
These formats are supported by the DVD+RW Alliance.

DVD+R DL
DVD+R DL or called DVD+R9 is a Dual Layer writeable DVD+R. The dual layered discs can hold 7.95 computer GB* (called DVD-9) and dual layered double sides 15.9* computer GB (called dvd-18).

DVD-RAM
DVD-RAM has the best recording features but it is not compatible with most DVD-ROM drives and DVD-Video players. Think more of it as a removable hard disk. DVD-RAM is usually used in some DVD Recorders.
This format is supported by DVDForum.

Read our DVD Writers and Recorders list and read also our DVD Players Compatibility list to see what types your standalone DVD Player supports. You find more detailed comparisons between the formats in the more info section here.

DVD Sizes

The DVD sizes can be a bit confusing. There are basicly 4 different DVD Sizes,

DVD-5, holds around 4 700 000 000 bytes and that is 4.37 computer GB where 1 kbyte is 1024 bytes* . DVD+R/DVD+RW and DVD-R/DVD-RW supports this format. Also called Single Sided Single Layered. This is the most common DVD Media, often called 4.7 GB Media.

DVD-10, holds around 9 400 000 000 bytes and that is 8.75 computer GB. DVD+R/DVD+RW and DVD-R/DVD-RW supports this format. Also called Double Sided Single Layered.

DVD-9, holds around 8 540 000 000 bytes and that is 7.95 computer GB. DVD+R supports this format. Also called Single Sided Dual Layered. This media is called DVD+R9, DVD+R DL or 8.5 GB Media.

DVD-18, holds around 17 080 000 000 bytes and that is 15.9 computer GB. DVD+R supports this format. Also called Double Sided Dual Layered.

* In the computer world is 1 KB data = 1024 bytes so 4 700 000 000 bytes / 1024 = 4 589 843KB / 1024 = 4482MB / 1024 = 4.37GB. See section 3.3 in the DVDDemystified FAQ here.

DVD+R/DVD+RW/DVD+R DL and DVD-R/DVD-RW exact sizes
DVD-R/DVD-RW = 4 706 074 624 bytes ( 4488 MB )
DVD+R/DVD+RW = 4 700 372 992 bytes ( 4482 MB )
DVD+R DL = 8 547 993 600 bytes ( 8152 MB )

DVD Write and read speeds

Single Layer(4.7GB) write speeds
1x (CLV) = about 58 minutes
2x (CLV) = about 29 minutes
2.4x (CLV) = about 24 minutes
4x (CLV) = about 14.5 minutes
6x (CLV/ZCLV) = about 10-12 minutes
8x (PCAV/ZCLV) = about 8-10 minutes
12x (PCAV/ZCLV) = about 6.5-7.5 minutes
16x (CAV/ZCLV) = about 6-7 minutes

Dual/Double Layer(8.5GB) write speeds
1x CLV = about 105 minutes
2.4x CLV = about 44 minutes
4x CLV = about 27 minutes

Single Layer (4.7GB) read speeds
6x CAV (avg. ~4x) read speed is max 7.93MB/s = ~14 minutes
8x CAV (avg. ~6x) read speed is max 10.57MB/s = ~10 minutes
12x CAV (avg. ~8x) read speed is max 15.85MB/s = ~7 minutes
16x CAV (avg. ~12x) read speed is max 21.13MB/s = ~5 minutes

* write speed time and read speed time is not the same because writing requires some extra steps and also does the faster writing above 6x usually use lower write speeds for some parts of the dvd. 4x DVD speed = 36x CD speed. See section 4.2 in the DVDDemystified FAQ here.

Other non-standard special DVD formats:

DVD-VCD
is basicly a VCD authored on a DVD. DVD supports the VCD resolution but the audio has to be resampled to 48 khz. If the audio is resampled to 48 khz it is standard DVD-Video. Read more here how to make a such.

DVD-SVCD
is basicly a SVCD authored on a DVD. DVD do not supports the SVCD resolution but it may anyway work and the audio has to be resampled to 48 khz like the DVD-VCD. Read more here how to make a such and download a DVD Sample including a DVD-SVCD here.

DVD-MP3
is MP3s burned on a DVD but very few MP3 capable standalone DVD Players supports it because most Players verify DVD as DVD-Video only. Check our DVD Players list for compatibility.

DVD-ISO
is MPEG ,MPG, VOB files burned on a DVD without any DVD Authoring(making the vob,ifo files) but very few standalone DVD Players supports it because most Players verify DVD as DVD-Video only. Check our DVD Players list for compatibility.

this is from videohelp.com

Heres your answer right here....

DVD-R Better home dvd playback, pretty much ripped DVDs.

DVD+R Way way way way faster.

HTH

Hehe, thanks for your effort guys-- but I don't know much more now than I did before. ;P

The information from videohelp.com pretty much reinforces that the standards are more or less identical from a technical standpoint.

I also see contrasting and uncorroborated claims of a particular standard being better for video. Can anyone say of sure that one format is better for video and movie copying for technical reasons?

Thanks again-- and I mean no insult to those of you who have replied. We're just not anywhere near to forming a consensus.

no difference in video quality, why would there be? An MPEG is an MPEG is an MPEG, as long as the bitrate is the same then the quality is the same

if your making a DVD not knowing what it will be played on, its marginally safer to use dvd - r rather than "+", its slightly more compatible with more players

"-" is slower to burn than "+"

Sport1031 said:
nice copy-and-paste

a link would have done

well given the myths AND loads of bad info about this topic I figured pasting it would be ample evidence fro those that have issues with reading comprehension LOL and use windows and may be afraid to surf the web cause those evil virus nasties just love IE :)

besides, it seems normal around here wth the all the HUGE sigs to have a scroll fest for one line answers(not meant as a flame, just an observation folks)

i disagree.

with bit settings used on + media it makes it more dvd player friendly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom