volume e is win98
YAY!!!!!
btw, that the external!
thanks a ton for you help, i really appreciate it
you give a good name to this site and yourself

thanks again!

-Neo

:D :D :D :D

You're welcome, just glad you got it to work cos the laplink method could have been a real pain in the ass!

HAHA! I got one more quick question. How do I get the Windows 98 CD to detect my mouse and keyboard? When I run the setup, The mouse pointer won't move and the keys don;t do anything.

boot from floppy first, then use cdrom to load windows

hate to say it, but your stuck in a catch 22 situation( which came first chicken or egg type deal)

IBM from the factory used a parallel port cdrom to install OEM win98 or win95 on those things

I cant remember all the steps I took to get it to work, that was several years ago, I do remember working on it off and on for weeks, I think I used a boot floppy and used another PC with an adapter to copy the windows cd onto the laptop HD

You need to copy the following files to the hard drive I'm afraid!

display.sys
country.sys
mode.com
keyb.com
keyboard.sys
ega.cpi

then edit config.sys & add lines :

device=display.sys con=(ega,,1)
Country=044,850,country.sys

edit autoexec.bat & add :

mode con codepage prepare=((850) ega.cpi)
mode con codepage select=850
keyb uk,,keyboard.sys

NB the double comma ,, bit in the last line is intentional.
If afraid these are the UK keyboard settings but shouldn't make any difference really as you can change that later.

you can get most of those by booting with a floppy and using "sys c:" I think,been quite awhle since I played with DOS

No, sys command only copies the 4 essential files required for booting - command.com, msdos.sys etc

I can;t get it to detect, and the problem is, I cant use a boot disk because then it wont load the external-cd driver.

I can boot to dos then copy files from a floppy tho.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom