Venice; 15 seconds of fame up?

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's one thing that has suprisly stood at a near standstill compared to most everything else, cache. The only really big jump was from the L2 cache being intergrated directly into the chip rather than on the board.

Compared to how much memory and hard drive space has expanded, cache size really hasn't increased much at all. I mean, L1 and L2 cache is freaking lightning fast and I dunno how they go about increasing it, and it must be tough, it's just kinda weird how some technology just BOOMS and some stuff crawls at a snail pace.

gaara said:

Compared to how much memory and hard drive space has expanded, cache size really hasn't increased much at all. I mean, L1 and L2 cache is freaking lightning fast and I dunno how they go about increasing it, and it must be tough, it's just kinda weird how some technology just BOOMS and some stuff crawls at a snail pace.

practicality and design issues/goals, cache size is important when doing lots of the same computations repeatedly

AMD is popular with gamers for a couple reasons, bang for your $$ obviously, but the reasoning behind it is quite simple, they(AMD) addressed and did something about the CPU architecture and it happened to help out gamers, they dealt with memory bandwidth issue and really pumped up floating point math ops, which benefit many many games directly, but they didnt make the on die caches very big.They also somewhat pragmatically left hyperthreading alone and focused on what they could do to make a better CPU for desktop users, Intel OTOH kept chugging along doing what theyve always done and following the roadmap they setup years ago.

All the architectures are nearly at their speed limits and heat limits now, notice the RISC architecture hasnt gotten much faster has it?

Nubius said:
Nah I don't, EXPLAIN YOURSELF! :D muahahahaha

Yeah I gotcha lol, but still that cache makes a surprising difference in a lot of things.........course if they made a jump to like 32mb L2 cache I bet you'd notice a huge difference lol

32mb on die cache would be freakin huge, effective, but HUGE, a CPU would probably be 4 times bigger, thats one big silicon chip, can you imagine a CPU about 4-6" square?

horndude said:
32mb on die cache would be freakin huge, effective, but HUGE, a CPU would probably be 4 times bigger, thats one big silicon chip, can you imagine a CPU about 4-6" square?

Yeah, seems to be the size of a dual core preschott :p jk

DJ-CHRIS said:
Yeah, seems to be the size of a dual core preschott :p jk

christ, u got me thinking about that. a duel core prescott would run so hot it would start a fire. there is only one way to deal with that. remove the case, and get a big, window sized fan. Roll a paper cone and tape it to the fan, with the point only an inch away from the CPU. trun on the fan. guaranteed cool...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom