AMD cooling

Status
Not open for further replies.

Syphanx

Daemon Poster
Hey guys,
When i buy the following parts for my computer i am guessing that i will need more fans but i dont know where to put them.... DOes it really matter?? Can u just randomly put them anywhere in the case? or would i have to buy a new case because mine has only got 1 fan slot.

AMD Athlon 2500+
Gigabyte 7s748 Motherboard
256mb/ddr pc2700 RAM
Leadtek 128mb Geforce FX 5200

THanks,

yes it does, the air flow should be sucked in at the front and sides and be blown out at the back and top.

typically on a case you can have up to 6 case fans: 2 fans at the back blowing out, 2 at the front sucking in, one at the side panel sucking in (blowing on the motherboard), and sometimes even a blowhole which is a fan at the top of the case blowing up and outwards. and also the power supply should be blowing hot air out the back, not inwards to the case.

if you have only 2 fans i recommend having 1 suck air in from the side and another fan blowing air out the back or having it sucking from the front.

typically you will have more fans sucking in air than blowing out air.

doesn't the side fan tipically pull air out off of the mobo aided by the hsf pushing air in same direction, or did mine just come installed backwards? thought that opposing air flows would just circulate the hot air around again...guess it depends on whether the side fan is centered on the hsf or centered on the side of the computer panel blowing more towards the ram and IDE cables, but anyways I agree with ekÆsine on the rest of the setup.;)

The side fan is blowing air on the main PC components. Usually the cpu and agp port (vid card).

my experience with having the side fan blow direclty on the cpu and mb is that my cpu temp goes down while my mb temp goes up, i would rather keep my motherboard going. so i put a fan in the front and on the top that blow into my case and then i have the side and back fans blow out, it keeps them both cool. if my mb temp is always 10 C lower then my cpu temp i'm a happy man. right now it's 42 degrees outside and i have my window open, so it's very cold in my room. my cpu temp is 22 C

Try this config...

Two fans blowing in from the back, 4 fans blowing in from the front, 4 fans blowing out from the side and then the PS fan blowing out.
Add a water cooling unit on the CPU and case/mobo/cpu temp never gets above 20C. I like my system... :)

whoa freaky man, how much did this all cost and lol my case cant fit more than 1 fan on the front i dont think lol, but ive got 2 on the back :D

Most of it came with the case, then I got the Watercooler for $150. Did some tweeking and palying to get the best airflow and life is good... Now I just need to get a Watercooler for the 9800Pro and then I'll be happy. That card gets way to hot for my taste.

What temps does it get up to?
Because i know that the 9800PRO is a sweet card because my friend has one :D

Never really watched the card, but when I game, the case temp would jump 10C. So I made a mod to the card fan to allow a front and back fan to help force the air out the case without sending it around freely. Little PVC pipe, a small fan mounted inside and a few screws to hold the pipe in place and now I have a mini vacume pulling the air away... After I added the second fan to the back of the unit, that helped a lot, but still not enough for my likes. So the pipe was the best solution. And with the extra fans, there is not any extra noise...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom