Thinkpad 755CD windows install

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sod it, don't worry about those files being missing, they're useful but not crucial, except for edit.com. You need this to alter the config/autoexec files.

Just remembered of course, that not all these files are visible on the standard 98 boot disk, but they are placed in the ram drive when you boot from it (Ram drive should show up as the D drive when boot disk has loaded)

What you need to do then, is use your win98 machine, insert blank floppy, go to command prompt (dos) & type : format a: /s

This will create a very basic boot disk.
Next go to windows explorer & copy the following files on to the floppy :

edit.com
mscdex.exe
oakcdrom.sys
himem.sys
format.com
fdisk.exe

Make sure you copy these files from either C:\windows\command
or c:\windows\command\ebd

Then go back to command prompt, & type: edit a:\autoexec.bat
This will open a blank text file in edit. Add the lines :
set temp=c:\
set tmp=c:
mscdex.exe /D:mscd001 /L:D

Save & close edit.

Next at the command prompt, type : edit a:\config.sys
Add the following lines :
device=himem.sys /testmem:eek:ff
device=oakcdrom.sys /D:mscd001
files=10
buffers=10
dos=high,umb
stacks=9,256
lastdrive=z

save & close

Boot the laptop from this disk. When booted, type:
format c:\s

when thats completed, copy all files from floppy to c: drive. If system asks you if you wish to overwrite a file, say No.

Remove floppy drive, insert CD & reboot

Oh crap, just noticed that! I wasn't trying to put smilies in, they appear afterwards often when you type a colon followed by a letter eg :D (i've turned them off now!)

In case they've confused the issue, the line in autoexec.bat should read :
mscdex.exe /D:mscd001 /L:D

and in config.sys,
device=himem.sys /testmem:eek:ff

sorry 'bout that!

ok, i got that but one more thing. when i boot up, i get the whole cd stuff and it assigns it to d:

except when i try to read the d: drive i get this error:
CDR101: Not ready reading drive D
Abort, Retry, Fail?

is the oak driver not compatible?

you will probably have to get the suitable cdrom driver from IBM's website, if I recall correctly the generic windows cd driver wont allow hot swapping, and the IBM one must be installed in dos mode at boot(in other words it wont work with linux for example), other than that samm's directions look pretty good

Its possible that it's not compatible, yeh.
oakcdrom.sys is the standard dos atapi driver that works with just about every optical drive I've come across but being a laptop, it may not work fully with that particular drive I guess.

Check that the CD itself is not the problem eg no scratches, fingerprints etc (laptops can be particularly twitchy with copied CDs as well, in case thats what you have)

In the meantime, I'll see if I can find a compatible driver for you....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom