nooo! a moment ruined!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lasrix

In Runtime
Well today is of course pay day. I decided that after work i would head to the computer store (instead of going home and sleeping :p). i bought my new PSU, a 485W ENERMAX. I got home, with an anxiouty in the air, i rush up stairs to install my long awaited NEW PSU!!... well it turns out that i should have done some research because the MAIN CONNECTOR WAS TO BIG!! man o man was i disapointed:( . Well out of a sense of splurging im gonna go out and buy a new mobo. :D haha.

Recommendations plz!

Cheers-

P.s. my comp specs are in the sig and keep in mind BUDGET. no high tech expensive stuff

Yikes!.. So u want to buy a new mobo just for the PSU man? Why don't u return the PSU and just get a compatible PSU?

If I remember correctly, the Enermax Noisetaker 485 W (which I presume is the one), has a 24 pin connector. And ur mobo has a 20 pin?.. If that's the case, why not just get a adapter?

Well i just talked to my friend down at the computer store and he pointed out that the connector end is removeable to fit the smaller connectors on the older mobos... if that makes sense. ANYHO, i am still thinking of gettin a new mobo.. or not.. i dont know, i just want peoples input mainly on if i should or shouldnt, and if so what kinda chipset

Cheers-

Chankama said:
Yikes!.. So u want to buy a new mobo just for the PSU man? Why don't u return the PSU and just get a compatible PSU?
His new PSU prolly cost more than his mobo to begin with. Besides, upgrading mobo's is always a great thing to do.

ShoobieRat said:
His new PSU prolly cost more than his mobo to begin with. Besides, upgrading mobo's is always a great thing to do.

If he still wants to upgrade the PSU without the motherboard he can tho. His connector seems to fit both.. Or otherwise as I said before, he could've just bought an adapter. :)

His mobo looks to be an AGP mobo. If he upgrades it, he'll have to make a decision about the vid card as well. I mean, might as well go with a PCI-E than another, but more expensive, AGP. Then there is the processor as well. His mobo seems to be a socket 478. And I am pretty sure he doesn't want his new mobo to be a socket 478. Essentially, he'll have to buy a whole new computer!

If he's got an AGP mobo, and an AGP graphics card, why would he need to look for a new graphics card?

There's nothing wrong with 478. AMD Athlon XPs run on 478.

I would NEVER use an adapter to connect a PSU with the wrong molex connector to a motherboard. Connectors are standardized. if yours doesn't fit, it doesn't fit for a reason. Why take the risk? If his new PSU doesn't fit correctly with his mobo, he should either take the PSU back, or buy a new mobo. I find it hard to beleive that any moderately up-to-date mobo wouldn't be able to connect with any moderately up-to-date ATX PSU.

Lasrix, give us some details, buddy.

ShoobieRat said:
If he's got an AGP mobo, and an AGP graphics card, why would he need to look for a new graphics card?

There's nothing wrong with 478. AMD Athlon XPs run on 478.

Whaa?? 478 is an Intel socket. And Athlon XP's run on socket A. Are you saying the sockets are compatible with each other? Never heard of that....

And I was just saying, while AGP based cards are still nice and dandy (I guess for the next 1 1/2 years or so), they will be phased out. So since the whole motivation behind this is "upgrading", I figured moving to PCI-E makes sense. But, his card is AGP.

ShoobieRat said:

I would NEVER use an adapter to connect a PSU with the wrong molex connector to a motherboard. Connectors are standardized. if yours doesn't fit, it doesn't fit for a reason.

I believe the new 24-pin motherboard specification states that it "should" be able to work with old 20-pin power supplies. It is a requirement. And I can only assume the reverse is also true - new power supplies working with old mobos. The 2nd problem would be easier to solve than the 1st problem..

Well i got the PSU up and running!

Makes me feel good knowing that i have the extra wattage in my system just incase something is lacking.

As for the whole new mobo thing. As a part of my "phase 2" thread i posted not to long ago (should be phase 3), i mentioned that i wanted to buy Corsair ram. After some consideration i have decided to not bother with this upgrade because i dont OC my stuff (yet ;)). So instead of the new Ram im gonna buy a new mobo i think. of course this is at the end of my list to get, meaning i probly wont buy it for another half a year or more. (and yes, the p4p800-se is by far one of my favorite mobo)

As for the new mobo ive been eyeing, ive been looking into the Asus P5GPL, Socket 775, Intel 915PL Chipset mainly, and the ones surrounding that series. Im gonna do a bit of research and so forth.

Thanx for the responses

Cheers-

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom