Did I mess up???

Status
Not open for further replies.

sean53180

Solid State Member
Okay I got some Artic Silver 5 because I wanted to OC my computer from 2.8 to 3.2 or so. Before I began my computer ran at 46C under heavy load. I must have read something wrong because I took off the pad that came with the heat sink (Pentium IV stock) and cleaned both the heat sink and chip with some Isopropyl alcohol. I put some of the AS5 on and now computer is running 53C on heavy load (no over clocking). I know it's supposed to take a bit to settle in but it also says it should drop the temperature down a few degrees when i first apply it (not raise it). So was I not supposed to take off the pad or do i have to much AS5 on it or what? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Have Fun
Sean

yes you were supposed to take off the pad.

Make sure you only applied a thin layer of AS5 to the CPU die. if it's a CPU with a heatspreader then you should have only put a BB sized drop in the middle, put the heatsink on evenly, given it a twist in each direction approx 1 degree (which is freakin TINY, I mean BARELY move it) and then make sure you go back and forth tightening the screws a little at a time so the pressure is evened out. Make sure the heatsink is infact making enough contact with the CPU

I put a bb size drop of AS5 on and the heatsink is one of thouse clip ons. I forgot to mention its a P4 2.8 HT chip. If i turn it more than one degree would that affect it? I thought i may have done it wrong the first time so i took off and looked at it and it looked like the picture on the Artic Silver website. I then cleaned all the AS5 off again and then did the same thing to no avail.

it shouldn't effect it drastically, but generally the 1 degree turn just evens it out and going more than that might smudge it more than it needs to be.

Well hmmmm if you've even resat it and same temps, theeeen you might just wait a week or so and see if it drops after burn in, but dang it shouldn't have just jumped like that.

Give it a few days or so of burn in time to let it settle in, but it sounds like you got some bubbles trapped in there or there's an area that's not contacting the CPU and heatsink so you've got some space between the two.

Okay ive given it a few days now to settle and nothing. I was reading on AS5 website that if i had a wax heat pad that it would be impossible to clean it all off with just Isopropyl alcohol. Now is this just them peddling their cleaner or would this account for the 6-7C temperature rise. Perhaps i should try another heatsink or something; I spent enough on this computer that it shouldnt have this much of a temp. issuse w/o OCing. Any help would again be appreciated.

Sean

The wax pads are impossible to get COMPLETLY off after they are used once, reason being the way sinks into the microscopic valleys and the cleaning cant get down that deep to remove it, since there is still way in it the AS5 wont work to its full potential because its only works great when it can fill the valleys it self.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom