Quick Building Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

hewhohasissues

In Runtime
By tomorrow the last of my components will arive and I'll start building but I got a few quick Qs:

1/ Should I wear in the hardware before overclocking the GPU and CPU?

2/ I got Antec Silver Thermal Compound but my heatsink came with some Compound, do I apply silver to both my CPU and bottom of the heatsink or just use silver on my CPU?

3/ I've got a PCI Fan Exhaust, where should I place it, at the bottom of the case or under my GPU? Which I hope to overclock to ultra speeds.

4/ Where do I put my dual channel RAM on my Lanparty? It listed the slots as 1 and 2 at the top what's furthest away from the CPU, but I thought closest to the CPU the better?

5/ Anyone know of any good guides on not the actual building but the set up of the BIO, OS, Graphics, Drivers etc and which order to do em in.

6/ Is using a cracked XP professionial any good? I got home XP from my parents workplace (unopened) But I do like Word and thinking of then installing a cracked version to replace home edition.

1. not usually necessary, but sometimes it might take a while for thermal paste (in your case the Arctic Silver) to set in
you could overclock now, and then after about a couple of weeks, see if you can overclock further

2 you only need a small amount, it is only intended to fill up the tiny gaps between CPU and heatsink (they are not completely flat)
it doesn't matter if you put it on the heatsink or CPU first, just as long as you don't have too much or too little

3 put it next to the GPU if its fan is sucking from the heatsink, that way it will take the hot air from the GPU out of the PC
otherwise, put it somewhere else

4 put the sticks in slots 1 and 2

5 it doesn't matter about the order, but I would install the video card drivers, sound card drivers then the latest directX (currently 9.0c) before anything else

6 I would keep it legal

1) yes, give it about a week atleast.

2) take the thermal compound off the heatsink. When I applied my thermal compound, I put some on the heatsink, and rubbed it round the heatsink so it gave a dull appearence, and did the same with the cpu (leaving barely on any of them) I then put a small (about the size of a pea) blob on the cpu, and then put the heatsink on top of it, which spread it out well.

3) put it under the gpu, to exhaust the heat that it produces.

4)put it in the two slots that the manual says to put them in for dual channel, the distance doesn't matter, but put it in the first slots that the manual says to put them in.

5) I don't know of any guides, but here is some help. You don't need to set up the bios, but go in there when you first boot to check that cpu is at the right frequency ect. Also put the right boot order. For the os, put the cd rom as first boot, put the cd in the drive, and click next until it is done (with doing the required steps it tells you) For graphics, download the latest drivers in windows, and directX 9 C. I did graphics first, as that was annoying me, but I don't think there is a order.

6) you are not aload to talk about that here, but if you want professional for cheap, try ebay, make sure you get a coa number. tbh unless you are going to be setting up a network at home, create a server, or need administrator options to be restricted, than home is just as good.

and finally, congrats on building a computer. You will never want to get a pre built one again :p.

edit: ahh you beat me to it Apokalipse.

Unless your a networking or server person, all you will notice between the two OS's is the name.

Also follow the instructions on artic silver's website

Okay I forgot to add this question:

Can Acrtic Silver come off? A very high possibility I want to sell the CPU at a later date but will I be able to with it on?

EDIT

It doesn't tell me which RAM slot to use, but they're listed 1-4 on a diagram.

Should I put the PCI Exhaust Fan right under the card? Or a slot down from it?

I'm using Home Edition at the mo but what's the windows package with the Professional Applications on it i.e. Word, Excel called?

you can remove any thermal compound, you just need a tissue or something

find out if the Graphics card fan sucks air into the heatsink, or blows it out
if it blows air out, put the exhaust fan next to the GPU
if not, put it in another slot

Professional edition doesn't offer much over Home

what is your motherboard?
the manual should tell you which RAM slots to use for dual channel

It should be slot 1 and 3 for the ram, but get cpuz to check it.

Use isophyll or something that is 90+% alcohol to remove the thermal compound completly.

Cool thanks, I think you may be right about slots 1 and 3 are both the same colour (Yellow I think) and slots 2 and 4 are orange.

Everyone thanks for the help past and recent, hopefully everything will run okay.

Just got a quick final question about cooling...

Will 1 PCI exhaust provide even cooling? I was actually going to have no exhaust fan till I spoke to someone who said it was a must.

I currently have 2x80mm fans at the back, 1x80mm at the side and 1x120 at the front. Should I turn one of these around to exhaust some hot air?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom