Ok, I'm an idiot.. please help me decide

Status
Not open for further replies.

smileygladhands

In Runtime
Yes.. I am, in fact, an idiot. Screwing around with my crap-arse heatsink I damaged my MB. So, I need to get a new one.
I'm looking at this one currently:

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=13-128-286&depa=1

But I don't have much experience with Gigabyte. Everyone says Asus is the best.. blah, blah.. but I'd rather not have to spend another $40 just for a brand name.

Let me know what your experiences are with Gigabyte and what you'd do in my situation.

Thanks.

(FYI, if you're recommending specific boards, keep in mind I need: AGP; SATA & IDE; 4 184-pins; 939-Pin AMD 64 Athlon support.)

Well you will find on these forums that ASUS is not very highly recommended.

Giga-byte is trusty (in my opinion, thats why I have on in-route right now).

If you want a board to run your system and not chnage any options ot OC at all, that one will do great.

The one I ordered ( GA-K8NSNXP-939 ) will be here soon and it has the same format as the one you are buying. If you wait until then I'll tell you how it works out with the placement of slots and connections.

Either way, I think the board is a good choice.

Thanks for your information...

So, if I'm going to OC I should avoid the Gigabyte? Or, atleast the one I'm looking at?

Have you had prior experience with Giga with no real problems?

Thanks again

Bah asus sucks man, those people are crazy. ASUS does better with Intel than AMD boards though, but quality has since gone down hill in recent years. Beyond that tech support is basically non existant unless you speak taiwanese.

You want a good overclocking board that has AGP and is socket 939 look no further than the MSI Neo2-Platinum

Also DFI MAY be releasing an nf3 board here within a month or so but I doubt you want to wait for that, and those boards are generally for really experienced OC'ers

But currently that MSI board is the best OC'er on the market.

Can't go wrong with it ;)

It's like $140 at newegg though.

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=43033

That's MSI neo2 plat tips and tricks courtesy of xtremesystems world class OC'ers ;)

Abit boards also tend to be very good overclockers. Basiclly put, the nforce boards are very nice, and its hard to go wrong with them.

The only ABit board that has AGP slot is the AV8 and AV8-3rd Eye with a VIA chipset which I'm more partial to nforce :p that's why I didn't suggest it :D

ive got no experience with the nforce3, only the nforce4. however, i too am partial to the nforce4, so i c ur point. but Abits do tend to be very good overclockers.

but Abits do tend to be very good overclockers.
Trust me if it was for nforce4 I'd say either ABit or DFI, and lean more towards ABit if you're really new to OC'ing because the DFI has so many freakin options it truly is meant for more advanced overclockers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom