power supplies

Status
Not open for further replies.

angrykid

Baseband Member
Another question. Are power supplies brand specific? Would a power supply not work with an amd processor if it was a P4 p/s?

Thank you for your time,

angrykid

The power supply I have selected says "P4" in it's description. What does that mean?

Also, how can you tell if a certain power supply will work with a pci-express motherboard or graphics card?

Thank you and sorry for the bother,
angrykid

That P4 is referring to a 4pin connector (not a regular molex) this pin is squared and the pins are set up 2x2 instead of 4 pins in a straight line. AMD's boards need that as well as the 20 or 24 pin main power connector like intels do I believe.

Also as far as PCI-E is concerned they do have adapters to change a regular molex connector to a PCI-E connector, but basically you just gotta see if the decription of the PSU says anything about 'PCI-E Power Connector'

well if you want to save the hassle of frying your stuff/power suddenly going off/eventually a new psu/not being able to OC, you should get a 24-pin, although it's not necessary

so, yes, get a 24-pin psu (spend a good deal on psu, as they are important in cooling, allowing for OC, the noise of your computer, etc.)

what are your specs?

what I want:
Athlon 64 3000+
Rosewill Radeon X800xl pci-express
1 gig(2x512mb) of Corsair valueselect ram
RAIDMAX 668WGP green aluminum gaming case
soundblaster audigy 2 zs gamer
Asus A8N-E motherboard
Western Digital Caviar SE 200gig hard drive
Toshiba dual-layer dvd burner
THERMALTAKE PurePower W0068RUC 460watt power supply
Windows XP Pro w/ sp2

get a 24pin psu. it's better now to get a really nice psu so later you won't suffer any instability or if you want to upgrade...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom