In Runtime
I got the following parts just now
X-navigator case
amd 64 winchester 3200+
dfi nf4 mobo
80 gig western digital hd
pair of ocz sticks
x800xl video card

im hyped up and want to put it together, any tips?
and about cleaning the cpu with alchohol that dale suggested, where can i get that?

You should be able to buy isopropyl alcohol at a drugstore, but I'm not sure how pure you can get it.

Just remember, touch metal to discharge yourself before going in the case, avoid working on carpet, and do not place any components on metal or other conductive material. Don't use a magnetic screwdriver either.

before you seat the motherboard into the case, put the CPU, ram, and heatsink/fan on. Also use an anti-static strap or if you dont have one make sure you touch the back of your case where there is metal to discharge static if any.

ok thx, all handy advice, ill have to wait till tonight if im going to use the kitchen though, since all the other rooms have carpet

Yea carpet isn't good. Gaara's tips are excellent. Me being paranoid as I am used an anti-static wrist-strap the whole time, but I guess touching the case will do.

excuse me for the question, but since im still a noob i need a second oppinion.......the square of gray material on the bottom of the fan included with the processer is heatsink right?

sorry for double posting, but im really freakin paranoid about putting this thing together, but i found 91 percent of that type of alchohol i needed, so how do i apply it? im guessing tip it over on a clean rag so that it gets it wet, and then wipping it or dabbing?

Vampire_Slayer said:
sorry for double posting, but im really freakin paranoid about putting this thing together, but i found 91 percent of that type of alchohol i needed, so how do i apply it? im guessing tip it over on a clean rag so that it gets it wet, and then wipping it or dabbing?
I suppose you could use a rag. Myself I just hold a cotton ball on the end of the alcohol and tip it to get the cotton ball moist. Then I wipe it down and let it dry. A rag might be too rough, probably a soft cloth or cotton ball is better.

edit: the grey material is your thermal pad, you'll want to leave that alone. that should make contact with the processor when you set it up.

You only need to use the alcohol if your going to remove the thermal pad/grease that comes with the HSF or when you take the HSF off to put new thermal grease on the CPU, and i think anything above 75% would work. So if your not going to put some thermal paste on there dont worry....

few advice, dunno if you already know this:

1.) put the karajan module on the mobo before seating it in the case
2.) use the back panel thingy the dfi lanparty came with, not the stock aspire one
3.) you do know how to install windows..right? (just checkin')
4.) boot up your computer stick only one stick of ram in DIMM2 (orange) and install windows and drivers etc. (be sure to install your mobo drivers, sound drivers, good catalyst drivers [i'm pretty sure dale knows this], etc.)
5.) after finishing everything, turn off comp, then turn off power supply, and insert the second stick of ram into DIMM4 (the orange one closer to the cpu)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom