Building a computer for a first time need help

Status
Not open for further replies.
The hard drive you selected is IDE, you will want to change that to a SATA drive.

Other than that everything looks compatible, but a couple of comments:

This is a pretty crazy system, putting the Value Select RAM in there doesn't seem right. If your going to go all out like this, get some better RAM.

I would reconsider going SLI. It benchs extremely well, but I have heard the real game performance isn't as good and some games aren't compatible.

Also on the video card, you might want to just the GT version, whether SLI or not, as the GT can easily be OC'd to the Ultra speeds.

Other than that, have fun with it, it will definately be a kick ass system :D

I think everything's fine, except for your videocard. SLI only works with pci-express, and you have selected an agp 8x card. Switch your card to pci-express x16, and you should be fine. Nice computer!

Well im trying to save somemoney to. What ram would you recommend? And if the game isnt SLI comatible will that mean they dont run? And ill look up the gt version. Thank you.

I still do not know where to find a sata harddrive. Could soemone perhaps tell me of one?
Here
Very good card
I think everything's fine, except for your videocard. SLI only works with pci-express, and you have selected an agp 8x card. Switch your card to pci-express x16, and you should be fine. Nice computer!
Good catch, didn't notice that ;)
Well im trying to save somemoney to. What ram would you recommend? And if the game isnt SLI comatible will that mean they dont run? And ill look up the gt version. Thank you.
Saving money by getting a FX-55 and dual 6800 Ultras? :eek:
As far as better RAM there is the Corsair XMS stuff OCZ, Patriot etc... They all make good RAM...

In order for a game to work with SLI, drivers have to written specifically for that game for SLI, and the number of games with said drivers is limited.

You can find a SATA drive on newegg easily, I would suggest you go with Seagate or Western Digital as Maxtor is a company known to have a high failure rate.

MSI makes decent enough cards, but I would really recommend buying an eVGA instead. They make really good cards and you also can later use their step up program (although I don't know what you'd need to step up to =/). You can ask Nubius who hangs around here about it if you're interested.

I also agree that SLI isn't a very good idea unless you want the absolute best, a single 6800GT should suit your needs pretty well.

Also, I'm not a fan of Asus boards and they've gone downhill in quality as of late. I would prefer a DFI lanparty nForce4 board, but it's up to you.

Value RAM is absolutely fine if you do not plan on overclocking, low latency RAM serves no purpose other than stability at increased speeds so don't be fooled by people who will tell you it's faster.

I also don't know your PSU company very well, and would switch it to a Thermaltake, Antec or OCZ, especially with the high end parts you're putting in their.

And I think that's it.

get corsiar XMS ram, that is what I have and it kicks a ton of ass... that ram has low latency and it rocks, you don't even need to much ram if you get XMS...

POWER SUPPLY!!!! Thats a major problem. yes, its a 500 watter, but its 19a on the +12V rail. u need something better buddy. Try the Antec True 550 watts - puts out 36a on the +12V rail! great PSU. costs $136. http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=17-103-918&depa=0

About the 6800 GT, get that card, u can always add another for SLI down the road. The RAM also could be better quality...figure Corsair XMS. other than that, great system.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom