new computer powers down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
well - i can't find anything on 2 short, pause, 1 short beep code but 2 short = parity error and 3 short = main memory read/write test error.

I've swapped the memory between DIMMs with no success.

Since the system started booting for several minutes (until i tried to read floppy or disply boot priorities) and has gotten progressively worse so that it only stays on for a couple of seconds, i'm guessing my problem isn't RAM related??? Anyone disagree or have any other ideas?

Asrock is a fairly large company recommended in Computer Shopper as a cheaper alternative to an Asus. They're ok to trust

OMG New problem!

The good news is, changing the FSB to 200mhz (with jumpers) has stopped the shutdowns. The bad news is that now my proccessor has effectively been downgraded to a 1ghz proccessor. Infact the BIOS recognises it as an Athlon XP.

Thats one problem. Any higher FSB settings and it shutsdown again.

The other problem is:
I can boot to the floppy fine now but only a: is recognised.
Although the bios displays my harddrive and cd drive at startup.
I cannot install windows because a) it doesn;t recognise drive d: and
b) it doesn't rcognise c: to install onto either!

Any new help on these matters?

Thanks for he help so far by the way!

What is the configuration of the CD ROM and HDD? For example: Is it a SATA HDD or IDE (PATA)? Is the CD ROM on an IDE cable by itself or shared?

If the hdd is SATA you need to install drivers during the windows install process. You will need a floppy with the drivers on it and at some point during windows install it will tell you to hit an "F" key to install driver from floppy.

For the CD ROM, if it is on its own cable make sure the jumpers are set to master. If it is shared with the hdd, meaning you don't have an SATA drive. make sure the hdd jumper is set to master and the CD ROM is set to slave.

I've managed to sort that now sorry hehe.
Was NTFS harddrive needed to reformat to FAT32 before it was recognised.

Now the shutdown happens mid windows installation. Same problem though. Reseting the BIOS allows you to turn straight back on, otherwise you have to wait a while so it MUST be the BIOS at fault?

I've updated the BIOS from the ASROCK website. but i'm going to try and find an even newer version.

Thinking it might be bugged? Broken thermostat? anything else?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom