240 MB of RAM

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, oh yes... What they are referring to is Memory Sharing. THe onboard video chipset that is installed (ON MOBO) doesn't have it's own memory, so it must share the systems memory. Thus, 256MB becomes 240MB because 16MB is being shared by onboard video.

wow, i just said exactly what everyone else said. Sorry... I thought I was taking a test.

i see the cover with four screws
so basically that cover is for upgrading

what else can i upgarde by lifting the cover

since there is no sticker across, hence i wont void the warranty, right?

rookie1010 said:
i see the cover with four screws
so basically that cover is for upgrading

what else can i upgarde by lifting the cover

since there is no sticker across, hence i wont void the warranty, right?

If you've lifted the right cover you should have access to the RAM modules. Look for any empty sockets.
You won't be able to upgrade anything else from there.

Only other component thats easy to upgrade is the hard drive. You may be able to add a larger drive to the laptop but it won't necessarily be any faster - 2.5in hard drives are far more limited than desktop drives when it comes to their rotational speeds etc (either 4200rpm or 5400rpm)

You can do it buy yourself. On my laptop there is a panel underneath it and I just unscrewed it and took out the hard drive. I think that's how all newer laptops are. There should be a panel with the hard drive logo[you all know what I'm talking about!].

You can do it yourself but obviously check out any warranty issues first just in case.

Also, find out if possible, if the bios as a drive capacity limit i.e max size of drive it will recognise.
Also make sure there are no hidden system partitions on the original drive, some manufacturers put these on their systems to allow for diagnostics/restore etc

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom