Does DELL have a clue? Check this out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
jebathan said:
i was reading about the new unreal 3 engine and it was saying how it was taking advantage of mutli-threading and such,

Cool I was right then :).

desiboi said:
Man, what type of game will use multi threading? Some ultra high quality action game that comes with 9 DVD discs?

Man, even Microsoft Word has mutl-threading (ever notice the autosave feature for example? :p). I am not a game programmer, so I don't know for sure, but I am presuming that when 2 characters are jumping around on the screen with guns blazing, they program it as 2 different threads managed by the game engine or the OS.

My guess is that by "multi-threading" they mean more like processor level multi-threading. Don't know how they would go about using this in the future (being not a game programmer and all :)). But I know that Kernel level threads (managed by OS) are more effective than User threads (managed by app). So maybe processor level threads are better than both.. Should fire off an email to my buddy at EA.

That's a CRAZY idea!! Other character use different threads.lol. But still, single threaded can do that too, without any lags. Maybe it's when 600+ people are shooting at you, with their bazookas and machine guns blazing, with high quality sound. [Meh? just a guess].

lol :). I wouldn't be surprised if they did man. Programming these as a single-threaded application might be "complicated". b/c then you have to duplicate the functionality of a thread engine in your single thread. lol. I mean that's why we have multi-threads in the first place to pre-empt threads that are not doing much and to make sure that "tasks" (or characters etc.) get executed in their respective priority. I can think of different things that happen in a game that should require different priorities :). Of course, we could build such functionality in statements within one big thread, but why bother? Can just let the threading engine handle it. More modular too. Programmers love that don't they? lol..

lol. I guess they do. Can't wait for multi threading games to come out. Imagine it, the gameplay, the texture, that feeling as if your in the game. lol.

Dell can get away with it because hard-core techies like us would never shop Dell. The people they are marketing to are people who don't have a clue about computers, and after they buy it, they couldn't even tell you whats in it. All they know is that it does what they want it to do and thats all they care about. They hear "dual-core processors," and they will automatically assume its twice as fast at things like gaming as single core processors.

beedubaya said:
They hear "dual-core processors," and they will automatically assume its twice as fast at things like gaming as single core processors.

Well man. Given the properly coded multi-threaded game, it's totally realistic for dual-core to become mainstream in gaming. What was it that Bill Gates said a very long time ago...........

Chankama, you watch DBZ? lol. I watch it, and where did you get that picture of Goku powering up?

Well, we all know that "DELL" & "INTEL" have a contract. Where "DELL" can only use "INTEL" in all their computers. It's definetly a marketing strategy for Intel to have Dell, "The #1 selling PC company in the world" using there new Dual Cores.

I just think Dual Cores in a "GAMING" PC at this point is the wrong move. All of the benchmarks i've read in the last few days have shown, Dual Cores aren't for gaming. Even IF the Unreal 3 Engine, "MIGHT" utilize multicore processing, "MIGHT" that's just one game. And what kind of advantage is that going to give you? It's going to be at least a few years before Multicores are mainstream and games are desgined to take advantage of them. THEN dell can offer them in there "GAMING" PC.

Oh well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom