new computer powers down.

Status
Not open for further replies.

eyaka

Solid State Member
I've just finished building a new computer.
It's a Sempron 2400+
Running on an AsRock k7s41 motherboard.

It boots into the Bios fine but when I try to read a floppy to boot, it shuts itself down.

The CPU temp idles in the BIOS at 50C and the MB at 33C
I thought it might be a temperature problem or maybe jumper settings?

I havn't even managed to install windows yet.

Help would be greatly appreciated

Cheers

Try clearing the BIOS. Also have you got the floppy cable the right way round? I've never heard of that cuasing a shutdown but you never know...

No No, make sure that you have the cpu fan plugged into the correct port on the mobo. I know that some of the AMD boards have two ports for you to plug the fan into. Just look for another port.

i have yet to see a single AMD based board have 2 ports for the CPU fan, they may have 2 or more for differnt fans, like the North Bridge chipsit fan and case fans

My fan is working at 4200rpm and seems to be working ok
I don't know how to clear the BIOS but how would that help?

The floppy is definitely plugged in the right way.

I did have trouble installing the heat sink.
The heatsink would not fit in the central clip position so I moved it to the clips on the right. This meant the white ganky crap on the heat sink might not properly cover the cpu chip.
could this be it?

Are you using the Stocking heatsink? Becuase if not, you usually have to remove the stock fitting. I have never heard of a computer shutting down becuase of the floppy. I mean if it dont work, then it dont work. Have you had any other problems besides the floppy issue?

Yea - I'm pretty sure its not the floppy. It is now shutting down almost straight away upon start up. Last start up i just went into BIOS settings and was displaying cpu temp at a low 30C so i'm not even sure it is a temperatuer problem. If you mean a heatsink supplied with processor by 'stocking' then no- i bought it seperately. Sorry not sure what you meant on that point. However, I can't see that there was anything to remove, as you suggest; the heatsink simply had its white thermal pad thing exposed and i installed it onto the cpu. I'm slightliy worried that i might have damaged the cpu when installing heatsink - had to give it some fair force. What do you think? also - first time i booted, the heatsink was on in the wrong orientation, so it was touching the cpu housing. turned it around now though. If the cpu was dead would i be getting into BIOS at all?

Your all good yo. For aftermarket heatsinks, you usually have to beat that baby up. I had to use extreme force to install mine. It had all these washers and springs to install with it. Basically all this crap that had tons of resistants. But i just did it my way.

Did you apply any Thermal Paste to your cpu and heatsink when you installed it? Your cpu as you say was 30c, so thats very good. But you do need thermal paste.

Also, when your computer starts, does it make a beeping noise? If so count the beeps, then look in your manual. The beeping is a code. Can you list your full system specs please.

btw it is shutting down progressively sooner every time i reboot. it now lasts about 3 seconds before shutdown. aaagghhh. also - tried clearing CMOS. could't even see whether this had any effect because it is still shutting down before i can go into bios.

two short beeps then short pause, then one more short beep on start up. no info in manual - i'm checking web now...

sys is:

no vid installed yet - just using mobo.

20 gig 7200 Western Digital

Sempron 2400 1.6Ghz Socket A 256KB 333Mhz OEM
AMD P/N:SCA2400

K7S41 Socket A FSB400 VIA Micro ATX Motherboard
Asrock P/N:K7S41

MA Silver/Black Midi Tower Case with 300W PSU
Aries Value P/N:A-2542-1-L

512Mb PC3200 184pin DDR 400 DIMM Memory
Aries P/N:512Mb DDR400

20 gig 7200 Western Digital