Hard Drives!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lasrix

In Runtime
well now that i hopefully got your attention on the matter i have a few questions :p.

First off i was wondering, when you install a hard drive it doesnt give you full access to the whole drive. (ie 200gb = 186gb, 80gb = 76.5gb) Is there a way to open that little extra space up for usage? im assuming no and its just the way they are built but never hurts to ask ;)

Second, is there a way to check the temps of my hard drives? how?

Last off. The big one. I have an 80Gb IDE HD setup with a 200Gb Sata HD. When i installed windows i, for some WIERD reason, had to install windows on BOTH HD's. when i go into the BIOS, the 80 IDE is of course set as the Prim Master BUT the 200Gb Sata is set as a THIRD party drive... probobly because its set up on sata. since the jumpers on the back of the sata have no setting for primary or slave how can i set it up so they are "prim master/slave"?

Happy computing

Cheers-

1.] yes it does and yes you are getting full access, the filesystem installed has to have nodes, these take up space, some OS's let you select the size of each node, some dont

2.] thermometer

3.] SATA isnt on one of the IDE channels so it wont master or slave

1. actually , when a hardisk rated 160GB, is actually can reach more than 160GB,perhaps another 10%. I heard b4 that there is some software can totally open up the entire hardisk and unleashed the total capacity.

2. u can check this software at http://www.hddlife.com/ which allow u to check your hardisk condition and temperature

3. there is no primary/slave for SATA. u can just install window on SATA hadisk and set at bios to boot from SATA hardisk .

i just dont wanna have to keep windows installed on both my hard drives... its kinda pointless if you ask me.

You have to have some kind of OS installed on the hard disk lasrix. Otherwise it won't have a file storage system or whatever. It doesn't matter if you don't want it on there, it just has to be there, save the 5 gigs of space it takes somewhere else. :)

1. Actually a hard drive always shows up less than what the hard drive says it is. That is perfectly normal. The way the bytes convert from how the hard drive people take them to how the computer uses them there is a conversion that takes place. Because the hard drive people consider it 500MB and computers 512MB or something like that.
So don't worry about that, you can't unlock the space or anything.

2. Use Everest.

3. No master/slave
jsut configure the drive in BIOS

Drive manufacturers advertise their capacities in decimal numbers. (1000MB=1GB)
Software like Windows display it in binary. (1024MB=1GB)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom