Processor speed question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fitdoc

Beta member
I am not very well educated regarding computer hardware. This is my question- I have a 200 MMX Megahertz processor in a 1997 Dell PC. I have a cable modem. Does the processor speed slow down the cable modem or does it matter at all? In other words, does a processor speed only count when one is talking about dial-up modems? I'm going to be starting a website and that's why i'm asking. Thanks

your cpu (processor) speed will hinder how fast you can load a web page, depending on what else is going on in your system and how much memory you have installed.

additionally,, with that slow of a processor,, and not knowing the amount of ram in the box, people viewing your website will have long waits for requests being fulfilled,,

For concurrent connections,, and if you plan on growing into any point of sale,, I would look into improving your CPU,, which would then reflect on the RAM,, then the OS comes into play,,

However,, If you are just planning a website for people to Read,, maybe only 1 or two pages ,, you could get away with PWS,, IIS on NT4,,,

If you are going to IIS on XP,, or Server 2K,,, you will have to improve the hardware,,

cheers,

Thank you both. My background is in medicine, fitness, and bodybuilding, so i dont know some of the abbreviations Crash used. Briefly, what does IIS and PWS mean?

It's not so much the processor speed as much as the FSB speed but Faster processors most often have higher FSB speeds.

IIS and PWS are just the kind of server you would be setting up on your system. You'd probably be using PWS on a slower system, I'm guessing.

If you plan on building a website why don't you just host with someone affordable?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom