Relatively Old HDDs

Status
Not open for further replies.

goku2100

Baseband Member
I recently decided to try out a file server setup on Windows 2000 with some old HDDs. The HDDs previously worked fine and all was good, but because I was installing windows 2000 and updating it, I had to turn off the computer quite often.

So as time goes on (through out the two days) I started to notice that 5 of the drives in the system were starting to act funny (dieing). One by one the drives would start acting erractically but not be technically dead (could still be read from I think though blank). So each time the drive would act funny, I would remove the defective drive and restart the computer.

So now I've gone from 5 small capacity drives that worked perfectly fine to 1 drive that appears to be dieing as well. Because I power cycled this system quite often because of the hardware changes and updates, I'm wondering if the drive's failure can be directly related to frequent power cycling. (I think I power cycled the system through out the 2 days about 20 times at least). Had I left the system on would these drives have died out later? I in a way hoping that these drives would slowly die and by then I would have money to replace them with 200GB drives.

Cliff notes:
1.Took old 1-4GB drives circa 1994-1997 and installed it into a system meant to be used as a "test" file system.
2. In order to bring windows 2000 up to date, I power cycled the system a minimum of 20 times (includes msc. hardware changes).
3. After about a minimum of 15 power cycles, one by one the HDDs started to fail.
4. Because of power cycling, I'm now wondering if power cycling is the reason for the drive's failure.

Sounds like it may have something to do with it, yes!
If you've power cycled old hard drives that have been standing for some time, it may have just been a bit too much for them.

That said however, it may have just marked them offline. I would check them again, maybe just one at a time to see if they still work.

You're obviously using scsi drives if you had 5 installed & its on a server. Can you tell me the drives & controller specs? e.g scsi level, sca or 50 pin, bus powered or not, active termination etc

Joeisalsocool said:
I'll agree with shoobie. Didn't older HD's use more power? what kind of PSU do you have in that thing?

I am making assumptions here (which is of course, the mother of all fckups) but, even so....

I assume that if it is a server & it can hold 5 hard drives plus an optical drive for windows install, then he is bound to be using the original server case with a server PSU. (The difference normally is that a standard PSU connections won't reach the mobo & drives in a case that size). Therefore, the psu will be capable of powering that quantity of drives etc.

Also, if only one drive is now left in the system & it's still playing up, then its unlikely to be a lack of power.

This DOESN'T however mean that the psu isn't faulty in some other way.

I may, of course, be completely & utterly wrong! It has been known on very rare occasions.......

Also, since older drives require more power (and more constant power) you may have problems with multiple drives being on the same power "chain" from the PSU.

Thats very true Joeisalsocool, although I am more interested in knowing whether the drives are SCA or 50pin scsi as that will give more insight into their power requirements.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom