Slave Hard Drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

minimumturbulen

Solid State Member
I have a small issue guys..

I have a Seagate 40 GB HDD and i wanted to install a WD hard drive (40G)..
so i set both drives to the Cable Select Jumper (please give me suggestions for this) and install the drive as the slave on the same IDE cable...
I boot the comp up and i check the BIOS.. everything seems good as the IDE config saw that the WD drive was installed as the slave..
WIndows boots up.. and it doesnt recognize that there is a drive there.. so i right click on My computer and use the disk management thingy.. which doesnt see it either.. i dunno what to do.. lol its killin me
I also tried switching the jumpers (i put the seagate as cable select and the WD drive as Slave vice versa and more lol)

Im pretty sure its not damaged cos BIOS recognizes it (i dunno if this means that)

another question.. if installing ram... like i have RDRAM and if i have two samsung 64 MB modules.. will it matter if the 2 new 128 sticks are simpletech? like is there an issue with brands and stuff? im matching the Non-ECC so yea..

THanks guys.. any help and tips will be much appreciated
JJ

when you use cable select, you have to set it to both hard drives. your cables must also select this feature

yea i have them both on cable select... and the BIOS recognizes it so doesnt that mean that its in order? i tried setting master and slave and that didnt work either.. mann this is pissin me off

i know that the seagate one (the main HD that i hvae windows on) isnt partitioned but i dunno if the slave one is..

is there a non windows program i can use to format, and get the drive ready for windows( if that needs to be done)
JJ

You need to partition them before you can format. If they're not partitioned, they won't show up in windows.

The drive that you are loading windows from, must be partitioned otherwise you could have windows or anything else on it. Sounds like the slave drive might not be though.

You haven't said what OS you're using. If it's XP, you should be able to see the drive in disk manager (I think) & if so, create a partition from there.
If you're using 98 or whatever, just reboot into DOS mode & run fdisk. Just make sure you partition the right drive!

Actually, try putting the WD on the second IDE port, where the CD-ROM usually goes, see if it recognizes it there. This could rule out the possiblity of a faulty drive. Make sure to put it on CS.

alright.. so heres the deal...
I have XP pro on my HDD and so i took it out and put my slave drive as my master and started to install linux to see if even that would work.. but linux didnt detect it either :( ... i have no clue whats wrong..

I ran a Belarc Advisor thing and it saw the Western Digital drive installed and the status was healthy..
Even device manager sees the drive.. but it doesnt have a letter assigned and disk management wont see it so i cant asssign one either..

This makes me think that maybe its not formatted right since it has to be working for the BIOS, Windows Device Manager and the Belarc Advisor to all see it there.

Im so confused.. is there a program i can run to fix this? anything at all?

Thanks
JJ

The drive should be partitioned first, and then formatted. This can be done by using fdisk. If the drive hasn't been formatted, it won't show up.

For more information, please see this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom