Norton Ghost crapped out my PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

fillcakes

Solid State Member
Yep, I spend most of my time having to find ways of getting my computer to work again after using crap software.

I tried to make a ghost image of partition C: (40GB) onto partition F: (80GB) mounted on the same SATA Hard Drive. Partition F: has 74GB free space.

I loaded gfhost2003 on win xp pro. Ran it for back up. All went well, chose backup c: to file on F: System rebooted to boot into temp IBM DOS boot and then hung. It hung while trying to load ghost. It then hung when I tried to use the ghost option to restore Windows boot.

Now I have a completely useless computer as all I can see now is a temp boot showing me ghost 'application'

Does anyone know of a program that can fix the error caused by Norton? Please don't recommend a Norton product!

Thank you

PS. The reason I say 'error caused by Norton' is that if the program had been more clearly thought oout, it would give me the tools to rewrite the MBR manually in the event of a crash.

No boot disk

Norton creates a temporary boot strap to the boot sector on the hard drive. It copies the MBR to a bin file, reboots out of windows into IBM DOS, ghosts the windows XP Drive, then when thats completed it writes the MBR back to the boot sector so that the drive can boot into windows again and back to showing 2 partitions.

What's happened is that Norton haven't made any allowances for crashes. Consequently, the ghost program has crashed in between the two operations, leaving me with a DOS BOOT with a boot record that in effect 'hides' the boot record for windows.

I need to very delicately edit the boot sector to get my Master Boot Record back.

Norton is a sloppy organisation - always has been when it comes to functionality like this.

So, if you know of a USER FRIENDLY boot editor I would be much appreciated

Thank you ver much for your rely

Well, if you have Windows XP Install disk, go into the recovery console, and use FIXMBR, FIXBOOT while your at it.

Cheers mrdinkel, I'll let you know
Most obvious, of course I knew this all along... cough splutter

Well, that doesn't work - I might have guessed

CD Recovery sees D:\windows and simply reboots when selected

This is becuase Norton has crapped out the boot record

|This time it has let me go to the next step

Asking for Administrator password - which I have never put in

Interesting n' est pas?

Very curious. I have never used that feature of Ghost 2003 as I'm much more comforatble with building boot discs and going that route...

There's a Ghost in yer machine! LOL

Sorry, couldn't resist.

I don't know, I've never messed with N-Ghost. Try contacting Symmantec about the problem.

ShoobieRat said:
There's a Ghost in yer machine! LOL

Sorry, couldn't resist.

I don't know, I've never messed with N-Ghost. Try contacting Symmantec about the problem.

Way to help a person out shoobie. since you claim to help people. I've yet to see that happen.

fillcakes

copy this to a bootable floppy after you extract it.

pm me for my powerquest restoreMBR .exe

it was too big to upload here 256kb

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom